Gelitan In DIY Food, Is It Safe ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching a few video's on DIY food for our fish. The one from "American Reef" looks great, but I'm sure their mix includes Gelitan, to bind the food together so it doesn't fall apart and cloud the water.

"Gelatin or gelatine is a translucent, colorless, brittle (when dry), flavorless food derived from collagen obtained from various animal body parts. It is commonly used as a gelling agent in food, pharmaceutical drugs ..."

Since gelitan is ground up animal parts, is it safe for our fish, corals and water quality ?

If you make your food with this product, what's your long term thoughts ?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like any food, it should be fine if not used in excess.

Make your own gelatin by cooking down cow and/or chicken bones, feet, etc and it'll be even more nutritious.

Cook your family some meat with the bones in, like a whole chicken or chuck roast. Lots of connective tissue is a bonus. After the meal, throw the leftover bones in the freezer until you have at least a few pounds of bones. Once you have enough, cook the bones in a gallon of water or so for around a day. Cook with carrots, celery and onions...no other spices...for a traditional recipe.

Then it's called "stock" and you can also make yourself some soup out of it or use it as a base for gravy, freeze it for later, etc. The thicker you want it, the more you cook it down to remove water. At room temp and under, it gets solid.

Broth is Beautiful
Stocks

(In case you're not already feeding live foods, consider putting the extra effort toward that instead of or in addition to this.)

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know. Thanks.

I'm wondering if it'll cause a water quality problem, as pollution and/or nitrates, phosphates etc......?

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id use agar agar instead of gelatin.
Or
Carrageenan Kappa
Xanthan gum. (Im experimenting with this & fish foods)

Last edited:
OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look up the other two, but the agar agar is interesting as it's algae, not some ground up animal body parts ! Lol
Have you tried it ?

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,....no idea what you mean, but.....lol

How much do you use when creating your fish food ?
Do you have a recipe to share ? !

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, as all I have made, have become either to gummy or solid.

I play around with various recipies at work to use for my aquarium. Ill find the right amount of binder.

Ultimately the best foods I've made have come from just using the freshest ingredients, pulse them up in a food processor and freeze. Nothing added.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,....you had better figure out a CHEF'S,..... recipe then !

Let's see,.... seasoned Shrimp gumbo, whipped Turtle Cheesecake, Brazilian fish stew, whipped Sea Bass, Prawn Provencale, grilled Stingray with Norwegian butter sause. And for dessert,.....Turtle Cheesecake, hot fudge covered Snail and Salmon jerky candy (for the kids).

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back