Gem Tang erratic behavior

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. Tuesday I have gotten my latest batch of 3 Gem tangs in from @NYAquatic They all arrived large and fat, I ramped them up to 1.75ppm Copperpower over the next day, before adding them to the 650 gallon which is currently at 1.75ppm. everyone has been happy except this guy. I'm not sure if he is suffering from some form of neurological damage from shipping, or some type of disease. No outward physical symptoms beyond his erratic behavior.
From the get go during the day he struggles to swim, staying close to the bottom of the tank, bumping into rocks, walls, getting tossed about by currents, he kept putting his nose in one of the holes in the eggcrate I was using to keep everyone separated when in the smaller tanks. I was hoping when I added him to the large tank to continue QT he would get better with more space and food to graze on. Unfortunately he has yet to show any interest in food.

At night he is a whole different animal. from the moment of lights out he goes to town swimming... all night long constantly... up down back and forth. (see attached video) I have never seen anything like it. he does it all the way until sunrise when he eventually slips off back to his corner where he stares at the wall all day, he doesn't really hide, he does seem to turn toward me when I come up to the tank, he also seems to move out of the way when other fish come up to check him out. He has done it for a couple of days now, without any improvement, so today I have pulled him back into the 55 gallon hospital for more intense treatment. (pretty easy to catch with such odd behavior) current plan is basically throwing all the drugs at him, metro, pazi, switching to CP instead of copper. Avoiding the antibiotics at this point, unless it could be bacterial? Not sure what to do at this point.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen anything like that, the night/day thing is really strange. The other two are still doing well and eating?
Jay

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if ny aquatic had these fish in their possession for a while? Curious if it had that behavior wherever it came from.

OP
OP
Twitchy

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple rounds of antibiotics, and pazi without any marked improvement, I moved him back to the 600 last week.

I am pretty sure at this point he is just "special"... the fiancee has affectionately named him Derpy. he still swims throughout the night, and flails about trying his best to not get spun in currents most of the day. I have seen him eat from time to time, although I don't think he is getting in enough food to sustain himself yet.
He does seem to slowly be getting a little better at motor control, and coordination... He runs if tank mates bother him(I fenced off one side of the tank to keep the big guys from messing with him) , he will now hide in the rockwork, and come check me out when I'm in the room, he will take a nibble at any nori that I suspend on the bottom of the tank in his area (usually about 5 misses to the bite), and will eat any mysis that gets caught in the currents with him that happens to end up in front of his mouth. I think now it is a waiting game, to see if he continues to improve, or if malnourishment does him in first.

Back