Gem Tang for $360…would you buy it?

pianosdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea reefer 350 G2 (91g total / 73g DT, 4’ wide, aquascape provides for open swimming end to end) and have a Tomini + blue + yellow already. All happy and love each other.

normally I’d say I’m capped on tangs, but…that price for that fish currently at my LFS is hard to ignore….

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to side track, but what would be a good tank mate (another tang) for a tomini in a 90g but still only 4’ wide?

and no, I don’t think I’d buy it. Blue is hippo or powder blue or something else?

OP
OP
P

pianosdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to side track, but what would be a good tank mate (another tang) for a tomini in a 90g but still only 4’ wide?

and no, I don’t think I’d buy it. Blue is hippo or powder blue or something else?
Hippo! Good clarifying question.

And just to try to head off any tang police who might at some point show up in this thread (not directed at you, workhz :)), all the existing tangs are grown and happy as is. So while opinions on adding a fourth are obviously encouraged by this thread, please try to avoid saying the existing stock is too much already, because it isn’t :) at least not for these specific tangs in this specific tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And just to try to head off any tang police who might at some point show up in this thread (not directed at you, workhz :)), all the existing tangs are grown and happy as is. So while opinions on adding a fourth are obviously encouraged by this thread, please try to avoid saying the existing stock is too much already, because it isn’t :) at least not for these specific tangs in this specific tank.
When you say they are grown, I assume you mean the yellow is 7-8", the tomini is 8-9" and the hippo is a foot long already because Those are grown tangs.

Any fish you add into that existing mix runs the risk of completely upheaving the balance your tank being has. Adding an additional zebrasoma moreso. Adding a zebrasoma that often has a bad attitude More so.

Sorry but you don't get to tell people to avoid stating their opinion even you're here Asking for opinions. It may not be the opinion you're looking for, but doesn't invalidate it.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its A Trap Movie GIF by Star Wars

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say they are grown, I assume you mean the yellow is 7-8", the tomini is 8-9" and the hippo is a foot long already because Those are grown tangs.

Any fish you add into that existing mix runs the risk of completely upheaving the balance your tank being has. Adding an additional zebrasoma moreso. Adding a zebrasoma that often has a bad attitude More so.

Sorry but you don't get to tell people to avoid stating their opinion even you're here Asking for opinions. It may not be the opinion you're looking for, but doesn't invalidate it.
Pretty much.

I'm sorry, you don't need the "tang police" to tell you that four tangs in a 70 is too much. I would not expect anyone on this forum to come in here and tell you otherwise.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Small tank for the tangs in there already. Adding another Zebrasoma tang sounds like an ich disaster waiting to happen. Now if you were to upgrade to a 6' tank then I'd say the Gem would be a good addition.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

So lol. In that case get it. U know your tank. Why ask then? Good luck w new gem.

OP
OP
P

pianosdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to have four tangs in a 73G? The blue and yellow are already pushing it.

I only said the gem tang price is hard to resist :) I also acknowledged that my instinct is to say I’m capped on tangs already. This thread exists explicitly because I recognize the space concern for tangs.
Pretty much.

I'm sorry, you don't need the "tang police" to tell you that four tangs in a 70 is too much. I would not expect anyone on this forum to come in here and tell you otherwise.
I explicitly said opinions on four were welcome and in fact the point of the thread. I also explicitly said I’m not looking for people to weigh in on whether or not THREE is too many, because it’s irrelevant and - at least for this specific tank - incorrect.

if the tang police could take a minute to read the thread before being triggered by the title alone and hitting reply instantly, they might have caught that

OP
OP
P

pianosdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So lol. In that case get it. U know your tank. Why ask then? Good luck w new gem.
I was asking about opinions on a fourth….again, as I’ve now said possibly five times in this short thread.

I think I’ll just say forget it because this thread topic is obviously far too triggering for some people to be able to read it

OP
OP
P

pianosdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes to the first paragraph. The 2nd is misrepresenting what I’ve said. I asked for opinions on adding a fourth tang. I *didnt* ask for opinions on the three I already have. I also don’t have an opinion “I’m looking for” (with respect to the fourth tang). I’m literally asking for any and all thoughts on the fourth. Clearly (or so I thought) by the way I wrote the OP, I’m in fact already aligned with the side that would say 4 is too many; if there was any confirmation bias at all, it would be in favor of the tang police.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn't pay more than $100 for any fish. As long as they're a working fish and poop to feed the corals nothing else matters. Funny thing about this hobby is that 100 probably died to get that 1 gem tang to your lfs and nobody complains about that..

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was asking about opinions on a fourth….again, as I’ve now said possibly five times in this short thread.

I think I’ll just say forget it because this thread topic is obviously far too triggering for some people to be able to read it

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back