Gem tang trouble

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got in a gem tang Wednesday. Ate day 1, hid in corner a bit. Day 2 in qt, ate again, dosed with prazi like normally would .

Didn’t eat that night. This morning, didn’t eat again. After 24 hours of prazi, did a 60 percent water change on qt, same temp, same salinity. As I was pulling water out, laid completely flat and didn’t move.

Put new water in, got up a bit , swam a little, back to laying down. Turned pumps on (hob power filter) and 2 100 gph power heads.

Still laying down an hour later. Qt is a 20 long, filled with 14 gallons of water. Has been running for about 2 months, used bio Spira to start cycle. Put about 5-6 fish they it already, no ammonia from what I can see.

Air comes by way hang on back crashing down 4 inches into water, and an air stone, along with two power heads.

Seemed all was fine until prazi pro.

Any ideas are appreciated, are these supposed to be hardy fish? I paid $400, maybe the source sucks ?

F7224B92-9687-482A-B636-4BF77CA0F00B.jpeg E1E952A4-AEA3-4138-A407-3FEE8056B566.jpeg

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached is short video now. Is “up” now, swimming low against glass of bottom.

Do gangs ever lay down when say you’re doing a water change?

Attachments

• E9085B07-7A76-4307-9ECE-ED8F00C5DA61.MOV
    9.4 MB

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could be too soon to do Prazi, i always wait 4-5 days or a week to start any treatments.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just like that $400 down the drain. Amazing we can get lights controllable to the percentage, skimmers that shut off when return pump stops, automatic water changes , yet the livestock is absolutely horrendous from just about anywhere. Maybe ecotech or Neptune can start engineering and producing fish

leewish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely sucks. I love supporting certain LFS in my area but sometimes those online 14 day guarantees are worth it.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like you had a bacterial bloom going in your tank. The water was very cloudy.

Bacterial blooms consume oxygen like you wouldn't believe. Are you using zero TDS water? Prazi can cause bad blooms. That is likely what the issue was from what I can see.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looked like you had a bacterial bloom going in your tank. The water was very cloudy.

Bacterial blooms consume oxygen like you wouldn't believe. Are you using zero TDS water? Prazi can cause bad blooms. That is likely what the issue was from what I can see.

I’ve had a bloom going on in there ever since I started using prazi. Other fish have been thru thicker blooms with out issue.

And yes, 0 tds

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a LOT of gem tangs available recently, and I've seen complaints here about the quality of the discounted gems from a certain vendor. If I were interested in one I would 100% go for the 2 weeks LA/DD guarantee. Any fish can die from transportation stress, especially if it wasn't that healthy to begin with, or if it had just come in to them and then was immediately shipped out again.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a LOT of gem tangs available recently, and I've seen complaints here about the quality of the discounted gems from a certain vendor. If I were interested in one I would 100% go for the 2 weeks LA/DD guarantee. Any fish can die from transportation stress, especially if it wasn't that healthy to begin with, or if it had just come in to them and then was immediately shipped out again.

Sent PM.

I do like the idea of the gaurantee from LADd, however it’s still coming from the wholesaler, not actual kept in a stable tank for any real measurable amount of time, and recently, LA has been a bear of a time about their gaurantee.

I have no idea what my iodine level is in my qt tank

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back