Gem tang white blotch

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him last week. He went through safety stop bath. Kept him in an acclimate box inside the display tank for couple of days and added him last night to the display tank. He was fine in the acclimate box. The yellow tang was going after him in the acclimate box but few hours later didn't bother too much. Is this an infection? What should I do?

20201019_125501.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This looks like a fungal reaction in which you need to assure:
- salinity is good
- good water quality
- proper diet
- adding vitamins to its food occasionally

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like a fungal reaction in which you need to assure:
- salinity is good
- good water quality
- proper diet
- adding vitamins to its food occasionally

salinity dropped from 1.026 to 1.025 due to a float valve screw up last night. Water quality has always been good. Diet, I will look into and add vitamins to it.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like physical altercation to me, but even if fungal, I say just feed and let him ride it out

Do I need to take him out to treat him? I cant rule out physical altercation although I did not see anything happening. I will continue to observer.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to take him out to treat him? I cant rule out physical altercation although I did not see anything happening. I will continue to observer.

I wouldn’t. How big is the tank? I also don’t quarantine (but also have a Gem) so not everyone would agree with my practices. If eating, swimming, etc. I wouldn’t stress it out and just try to bolster it’s immune system and let it fight off whatever it has going on.

Do you feed a good quality seaweed and frozen foods? Do that and stay away from
freeze dried cubes and flakes

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t. How big is the tank? I also don’t quarantine (but also have a Gem) so not everyone would agree with my practices. If eating, swimming, etc. I wouldn’t stress it out and just try to bolster it’s immune system and let it fight off whatever it has going on.

Do you feed a good quality seaweed and frozen foods? Do that and stay away from
freeze dried cubes and flakes

I use asian store bought seaweed. Have been using for years and tangs love them. Frozen food, LRS & Rod's original food. I feed frozen food everyday. Occasionally Hikari Marine pellets and PE Mysis pellets

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use asian store bought seaweed. Have been using for years and tangs love them. Frozen food, LRS & Rod's original food. I feed frozen food everyday. Occasionally Hikari Marine pellets and PE Mysis pellets

You should be go. I wouldn’t hit fish with medication unless their behavior declines

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should be ok in tank and especially as long as water quality is good
Feed:
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Small plankton
Mysis shrimp
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed dried red algae soaked with garlic yesterday and this morning the white blotch is fading. It is not as white as it was yesterday. I will continue to monitor and continue to feed him with garlic soaked food.

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh btw, I suspect it a clown fish that is harassing him. Not the yellow tang who was aggressive when the gem tang was introduced via acclimate and not the purple tang who is usually the boss of the tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add to to the diet which I mentioned above. It is in part diet and water quality

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white blotch went away in a day or two and I thought he was getting better. But I see this now. He seems lethargic, just stays in one side of the tank. Continue to do what I do? Or is there anything else can be done?

20201030_173144.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first, I thought this fish just showed some minor damage from another fish. Now, I'm more worried about the cloudy eye that I see in the latest picture. Gem tangs tend to often show various body discolorations, some of which could be HLLE, in other cases, it seems to just be that they show weird spots pretty frequently for no real reason. Have you thought about a FW dip to see if the primary issue is Neobenedenia flukes? Fungal diseases are almost non-existent in marine fish, so I doubt that is the issue here. It could be a bacterial issue though....

Jay

OP
OP
arvind

arvind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I will see if I can get him out. I have a regal angelfish in the QT. Can he go there after the fw dip?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Alright I will see if I can get him out. I have a regal angelfish in the QT. Can he go there after the fw dip?
before considering this step-
What is your:
Ammonia
Nitrate
Salinity
PH ?
Type of test kit(s) being used?

Are you using RODI or tap water from the faucet ?

Back