Gemtang

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a gem tang off someone who was absolutely Beaten by other fish his tail is almost all gone the top and bottom fins are gone, I put him in the tank he swims and been eating a lot, will they grow back ?

Resized_20230529_193948.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I purchased a gem tang off someone who was absolutely Beaten by other fish his tail is almost all gone the top and bottom fins are gone, I put him in the tank he swims and been eating a lot, will they grow back ?

To a degree yes depending on severity but tails and pectoral are generally full, upper dorsal May or may be restored

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fins are slow to heal and grow. Losing an actual tail (not just fin but tail flesh) will not grow back.

Help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Rough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the tail is actually still present. The tail fin will heal.

OP
OP
R

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fins are slow to heal and grow. Losing an actual tail (not just fin but tail flesh) will not grow back.

Help the fish by improving its immunity and ability to heal wounds by adding supplements for an ill fish to its diet as recommended in the Fish Health Rough Proper Nutrition post. Use especially Beta-1,3/1,6-D-Glucan.
Are you able to see from the picture if it will heal?

OP
OP
R

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to see from the picture if it will heal?
Since the fish has some tail fin there, it will heal. It will take a long time. Be sure to supplement feedings with Vita-Chem and the aforementioned Beta Glucan.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Seeing the fish now on a large screen, the tail will come back some as will caudal. The top fin will be little to no growth and this is NOT a nutritional issue but an aggression issue and whoever caused the aggression will have to be isolated from the fish. Fish is lucky to have survived this trauma

OP
OP
R

rmaiolo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing the fish now on a large screen, the tail will come back some as will caudal. The top fin will be little to no growth and this is NOT a nutritional issue but an aggression issue and whoever caused the aggression will have to be isolated from the fish. Fish is lucky to have survived this trauma
Ya it was an aggression issue and I took it off someone, he could’ve took it out earlier I don’t no why he waited to this point, so you don’t think the dorsal fin and the bottom will grow back ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ya it was an aggression issue and I took it off someone, he could’ve took it out earlier I don’t no why he waited to this point, so you don’t think the dorsal fin and the bottom will grow back ?
Percenrage chance of growing back even a little, Maybe 10%

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would feed it well ( I'm not sure about some of the specific recommendations here) - keep it in a low stress environment. Not sure anyone can predict the percent chance it will recover. I would say - though - that this is not something that happened overnight...... You need to watch especially carefully when adding fish for any such damage. Hopefully it will recover - there is no percentage IMHO

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow that’s not a number I wanted to see what can you do I guess
A comment was made that its hard to predict which is true, but my experience with tangs which is lengthy- the dorsal rarely recovers likely due to the missing bone structure associated with the fin and is also used as a steering wheel for turning and stabilizing itself in the water

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I’m going to put another idea out there. Let’s say the owner was incorrect about the cause of the fin damage? What else could it be?

Zebrasoma tangs show head and lateral line erosion very differently than other tangs - they develop eroded/missing fins. This is a chronic issue. It’s possible the original owner saw some aggression against this fish due to the HLLE damage, but I think that was secondary. If that is the case, the fins won’t regrow, but the fish can live for some time in this condition.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back