General Cure instantly Clouded the water

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm putting my fish through QT, first through General cure to rid them of intestinal worms.

I set the tanks up yesterday, not expecting them to be in the 40 gallons for more than the 10 days required before being transferred to sterile tanks. Both 40 gallons were clean, neither had a history of medication in them.

I added API General Cure this morning, around noon. currently (10pm) I check on the tank and notice the ammonia alert badge is in green and the water is really cloudy in both qt tanks. what is the recommended course of action?

It's been 10 hours, I'd hate to see what the ammonia is like after 48. I know I'm not supposed to change water or add carbon, so what do I do?

Everywhere I read it says that GC is supposed to supress/limit the bacteria in the water, nowhere did it say anything about an instant cycle.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you completely mix and dissolve the GC in some RO water and pour that into the tank? (Or did you just dump the undissolved GC into your display tank.)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting my fish through QT, first through General cure to rid them of intestinal worms.

I set the tanks up yesterday, not expecting them to be in the 40 gallons for more than the 10 days required before being transferred to sterile tanks. Both 40 gallons were clean, neither had a history of medication in them.

I added API General Cure this morning, around noon. currently (10pm) I check on the tank and notice the ammonia alert badge is in green and the water is really cloudy in both qt tanks. what is the recommended course of action?

It's been 10 hours, I'd hate to see what the ammonia is like after 48. I know I'm not supposed to change water or add carbon, so what do I do?

Everywhere I read it says that GC is supposed to supress/limit the bacteria in the water, nowhere did it say anything about an instant cycle.

The praziquantel in General Cure can act as a substrate for bacterial growth, and this can cloud the water. However, that is seen days after dosing, not hours. Prazi also doesn't dissolve well in water, and since you used seawater as a solvent to start, you may just be seeing particles of that - and that is actually o.k., it will still be effective.

Ultimately, you need to control the ammonia. What did you use as a biofilter? Bacteria-in-a-bottle often takes a few days to get started. You may need to resort to using Amquel to detoxify the ammonia, else you'll be doing huge water changes. I always try to keep the ammonia below 0.25 ppm, but that is also dependent on the pH (at a high pH, zero ammonia is best, fish can tolerate 0.50 ammonia if the pH is low).

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 146 88.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back