General discussion and questions about my tank because I am noob at this

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I got home he had a crack in his shell and he is very sluggish, can I heal him?
I’m not sure if cracks on the body portion of a crab’s shell would be fatal or not, or if it would depend on severity. Maybe @Jay Hemdal would know?

If it’s not fatal, then I’d assume it would heal over the course of a (few) molt(s) for the crab as long as the crab has enough good food and living conditions.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if cracks on the body portion of a crab’s shell would be fatal or not, or if it would depend on severity. Maybe @Jay Hemdal would know?

If it’s not fatal, then I’d assume it would heal over the course of a (few) molt(s) for the crab as long as the crab has enough good food and living conditions.
Thanks, I guess I’ll wait for the crab and see if it heals and in the meantime wait for jay hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tough to say - depends on where the crack is on the crab. Crabs can lose legs with no issue, but cracks in the body can affect internal organs. As you mentioned, cracks in a crab shell cannot heal until there is a molt.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to say - depends on where the crack is on the crab. Crabs can lose legs with no issue, but cracks in the body can affect internal organs. As you mentioned, cracks in a crab shell cannot heal until there is a molt.

Jay
IMG_0725.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amethyst - any updates on your tank?
did I forget to say I restarted the tank? So I forgot about my tank and I wanted a restart so I got a new filter, new gravel, new stuff, I kept squidward house and big white rock. I cleaned off everything And organized my pile of tank gear into a bin. I put new water and everything in my tank, and I started cycling it with alot of organic matter in there, I put 2 shrimp tails in there and a medium sized basic red rock crab, I fed him a bunch so he could help cycle the tank more, I gave him a bunch of muscles and pismo clams to help. He ate the 2 shrimp tales, pried open and ate all the muscles and clams. Then I needed to go back to the beach to find more to feed him but it was too late and he was gone 1 day, he escaped somewhere outside. I put a bunch of air into my tank and it was super hard for the pump to pump air while it was cycling, I put a forever ammonia tester suctioned to the tank but I think it went bad, I just waited for the air pump to easily start pumping air into the tank to know the water was probably ready. I put a 7 thing water test in and everything was normal. So I put a few muscles in there, a pismo clam, 2 brain coral, a few rocks, 5 small hermit crabs, and a tiny tiny crab that looked like a snow crab, I looked for it in my bucket of creatures but couldn't pinpoint it because it was so small so I just poured the whole thing in there. I changed the filter as well and had some big bioballs in there when i was cycling so i took those out and put the 1 or 2 filter cartages in there. I think I also did a small water change and topped the tank with a few gallons of distilled water since it lost some volume from evaporation and the filter waterfall slowly splashing water away micro drop at a time. The brain coral were super hard to get off the rocks at the beach cuz they were suctioned on and I had a sharp shell to get them off but they started bleeding and balled up so I thought the coral was dead but after I put it on my rock, a few hours later he was alive and stuck to it with the coral appendages waving in the current lively. I need to feed it some fish but my fishing luck at the beach isn't that good. Should I feed them the feed we got a while ago for the ghost shrimp? it was the big metal bag container with the small mini orange pellets inside.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back