General discussion and questions about my tank because I am noob at this

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh ok I thought the ro would be enough, also is rainwater good?
It depends on the rainwater, but - given how sensitive inverts are to copper - I wouldn't assume so. To quote the top link below, "copper was above the ADWG (2.0 ppm) in eight samples out of 365 samples," (ADWG meaning Australian Drinking Water Guidelines) - 2.0 ppm may not seem like much, but it is substantially higher than the ~0.002 to 0.2 ppm LC50 of Copper.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the rainwater, but - given how sensitive inverts are to copper - I wouldn't assume so. To quote the top link below, "copper was above the ADWG (2.0 ppm) in eight samples out of 365 samples," (ADWG meaning Australian Drinking Water Guidelines) - 2.0 ppm may not seem like much, but it is substantially higher than the ~0.002 to 0.2 ppm LC50 of Copper.
but isn't rainwater pure water? because only the water evaporates?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but isn't rainwater pure water? because only the water evaporates?
To my understanding, rainwater is as pure as whatever it comes into contact with on its way from the sky to the barrel - it might hit particles in the sky and be contaminated that way, or it might hit something else that contaminates it (the second study I linked above is basically about rainwater contamination as it comes into contact with things like the shingles on a roof).

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my understanding, rainwater is as pure as whatever it comes into contact with on its way from the sky to the barrel - it might hit particles in the sky and be contaminated that way, or it might hit something else that contaminates it (the second study I linked above is basically about rainwater contamination as it comes into contact with things like the shingles on a roof).
What if I get a bowl out in the sun and then cover it in a cone like shape of wrapping and have it so if it evaporates it will go to the top and slide down into different bowls so it wouldn't get contaminated?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I get a bowl out in the sun and then cover it in a cone like shape of wrapping and have it so if it evaporates it will go to the top and slide down into different bowls so it wouldn't get contaminated?
It would probably be easier to just buy distilled water from the grocery store at that point, but - yes - properly distilled water is fine.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about something simple like this
1674609792192.png
the middle bowl is full of bad water then it evaporates from the sun then slides down the walls and into the bowl below

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am talking about something simple like this
1674609792192.png
the middle bowl is full of bad water then it evaporates from the sun then slides down the walls and into the bowl below
In theory, I think that would work, but most people use a different method:

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, yes.
but the collection bowl do I have to clean it before use and how do I clean it if I do have to if I don't have the right water. I don't have an oven safe bowl only a microwave safe bowl, I am not going to let it boil because it is only microwave safe. is there anything else I need to know or do before making it and putting it in my tank? my dad wants to buy it from the store, here is what he is planning buying I think. But I think we will do the homemade way

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but the collection bowl do I have to clean it before use and how do I clean it if I do have to if I don't have the right water. I don't have an oven safe bowl only a microwave safe bowl, I am not going to let it boil because it is only microwave safe. is there anything else I need to know or do before making it and putting it in my tank? my dad wants to buy it from the store, here is what he is planning buying I think. But I think we will do the homemade way
I haven’t looked into distillation much, but I don’t know if it matters since you’re worried about metals and such more than microorganisms (so I don’t think you’d need to clean it for your purposes). If you wanted it clean, you’d probably need to look into sterilization methods (and I’m not sure which would work for a microwave safe but not oven safe bowl).

Make sure the temperature is close-ish to your tank’s water temp when you add the water to the tank. The distillation process takes a long time and may or may not take unreasonably long if you’re not boiling the water (the steam is really what you’re collecting to make the distilled water from, so basically the hotter the regular water the faster you get the distilled water).

The water your dad is looking at looks good with non-detectable levels of harmful things, but both ways should work.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t looked into distillation much, but I don’t know if it matters since you’re worried about metals and such more than microorganisms (so I don’t think you’d need to clean it for your purposes). If you wanted it clean, you’d probably need to look into sterilization methods (and I’m not sure which would work for a microwave safe but not oven safe bowl).

Make sure the temperature is close-ish to your tank’s water temp when you add the water to the tank. The distillation process takes a long time and may or may not take unreasonably long if you’re not boiling the water (the steam is really what you’re collecting to make the distilled water from, so basically the hotter the regular water the faster you get the distilled water).

The water your dad is looking at looks good with non-detectable levels of harmful things, but both ways should work.
k

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my setup, good?
20230124_183815.jpg
you think it will work? It is already starting to make the lips of the microwave safe bowl moist,time to add ice

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

can it have contact with aluminum foil and look at my message before this

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my setup, good?
20230124_183815.jpg
you think it will work? It is already starting to make the lips of the microwave safe bowl moist,time to add ice
Probably.
can it have contact with aluminum foil and look at my message before this
I would recommend as little exposure to metals as possible, but probably.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back