OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that is it! thank you for identifying it and what is it's non scientific name? is it just red rock crab?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that is it! thank you for identifying it and what is it's non scientific name? is it just red rock crab?
It's the Pacific Rock Crab, Brown Rock Crab, or California Rock Crab. The Red Rock Crab is Cancer productus, a different species.

For the pacific rock crab - these guys eat mollusks (snails and their relatives and clams and their relatives), echinoderms (starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and their relatives - I would guess they mostly eat sea urchins out of this group, but I don't know for sure), and crustaceans (mainly hermit crabs in this case).

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the Pacific Rock Crab, Brown Rock Crab, or California Rock Crab. The Red Rock Crab is Cancer productus, a different species.

For the pacific rock crab - these guys eat mollusks (snails and their relatives and clams and their relatives), echinoderms (starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, and their relatives - I would guess they mostly eat sea urchins out of this group, but I don't know for sure), and crustaceans (mainly hermit crabs in this case).
how would I go about getting their food? the only thing I can guarantee catching every day is snails and clams.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how would I go about getting their food? the only thing I can guarantee catching every day is snails and clams.
Snails and clams would be good to offer, as would hermit crabs. You can find both snails and (more commonly) clams at seafood stores, and you can find hermit crabs for relatively cheap at most saltwater fish stores. If you buy bigger amounts (at least from the seafood stores), it’s cheaper in the long run (but I’d buy a small thing first to see if the crabs eat the food when you offer it).

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and clams would be good to offer, as would hermit crabs. You can find both snails and (more commonly) clams at seafood stores, and you can find hermit crabs for relatively cheap at most saltwater fish stores. If you buy bigger amounts (at least from the seafood stores), it’s cheaper in the long run (but I’d buy a small thing first to see if the crabs eat the food when you offer it).
So how do I feed them I know I open the clam and feed it to them but do I crack the shell of the snail or juts leave it in there and also do I kill the hermit crab then feed or just put it there and let the crabs do their thing

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do I feed them I know I open the clam and feed it to them but do I crack the shell of the snail or juts leave it in there and also do I kill the hermit crab then feed or just put it there and let the crabs do their thing
Given that the crabs are still relatively small, if the snail has a relatively thin shell, you could probably just add it un-cracked, but it may be safer to crack it before adding it just in case they struggle with the shell. With the hermit crab, either one would likely work, and they would both likely have benefits. Given that one of the crabs is injured, though, it may be easier for it if the hermit is frozen or something first.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that the crabs are still relatively small, if the snail has a relatively thin shell, you could probably just add it un-cracked, but it may be safer to crack it before adding it just in case they struggle with the shell. With the hermit crab, either one would likely work, and they would both likely have benefits. Given that one of the crabs is injured, though, it may be easier for it if the hermit is frozen or something first.
ok got it

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the North County Tropical Fish Store and they didn't have the bottles of bacteria and they also didn't know what I was talking about. They had the ammonia test and the nitrite or nitrate test. Both were opened and missing things so we couldn't get them. I think they have an ammonia test at walmart so I am going there today

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the North County Tropical Fish Store and they didn't have the bottles of bacteria and they also didn't know what I was talking about. They had the ammonia test and the nitrite or nitrate test. Both were opened and missing things so we couldn't get them. I think they have an ammonia test at walmart so I am going there today
That's odd since they're listed as an official supplier/distributor on the company's site.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the ammonia test... The results I don't know what to do, inside the small cardboard box is a little bottle with the test inside, both the bottle and the little box have the colors and the results that they mean. But I got a light green as the result and on the cardboard box one where it was labeled "SALTWATER" it said that was 0.25 (safe) but on the bottle it was 3.0 or 4.0 in the danger in the "SALTWATER" section and I don't know which one is the real result? I went to go put in an ammonia clear fizz tablet to get rid of all the ammonia but it turns out when my dad cleaned out the yard last night, the ammonia clear tablets box looked like garbage and he threw it away (I think). because it is nowhere to be found. I am going to buy another one rn

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the ammonia test... The results I don't know what to do, inside the small cardboard box is a little bottle with the test inside, both the bottle and the little box have the colors and the results that they mean. But I got a light green as the result and on the cardboard box one where it was labeled "SALTWATER" it said that was 0.25 (safe) but on the bottle it was 3.0 or 4.0 in the danger in the "SALTWATER" section and I don't know which one is the real result? I went to go put in an ammonia clear fizz tablet to get rid of all the ammonia but it turns out when my dad cleaned out the yard last night, the ammonia clear tablets box looked like garbage and he threw it away (I think). because it is nowhere to be found. I am going to buy another one rn
Which brand of test kit are you using? Most tests have a little card with the kit that gives the proper reading key.
Since your not sure which key to trust, though, this is my advice: take pictures of both the bottle and the little box colors with the results (meaning take a picture of the results with the colors on the bottle and the colors on the box shown right beside the results - like in the link attached).
Edit: I'd then post the pic here to see if we can't help you figure it out.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which brand of test kit are you using? Most tests have a little card with the kit that gives the proper reading key.
Since your not sure which key to trust, though, this is my advice: take pictures of both the bottle and the little box colors with the results (meaning take a picture of the results with the colors on the bottle and the colors on the box shown right beside the results - like in the link attached).
Edit: I'd then post the pic here to see if we can't help you figure it out.
ok lemme finish editing this video first then I will take the picture

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1673671485504.png
here, for some reason my camera didn't focus but it goes from Ideal, Safe, Stress Danger, Danger. I just put in ammonia clear fizz tablet in I just got it at the store, this picture was from later today, I will send more test results tomorrow and lets see if it changes with the fizz tablets.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I PUT IN THE AMMONIA CLEAR IN AND NOW IT READS DANGER HOW DO I LOWER THE LEVELS THERE ARE NO BOTTLES OF BACTERIA NEAR ME WHAT DO I DO??

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK i am buying
this
and this
and doing an 80% water change right now
If you are getting positive ammonia readings (and you're doing the test correctly), then neither of these products will actually help (though their marketing is on point). Very few additives are actually needed in this hobby (and in some cases they do more harm than good).

The things that would help are Nitrifying bacteria such as the FritzZyme TurboStart 900 Saltwater, Instant Ocean BIO-Spira, and Dr. Tim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Saltwater Aquaria (these basically convert Ammonia, which is harmful, to Nitrate, which is mostly helpful).

If you are getting positive ammonia readings it likely means either:
1 - your tank isn't cycled (this could potentially explain a lot of the issues you've had).
2 - your tank doesn't have enough filtration to handle the bioload and/or you're feeding too much. (I doubt this one, but how much rock do you have in your tank?)

That said, the chemistry and cycling side of the hobby is not my forte, so @brandon429 any thoughts?

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things that would help are Nitrifying bacteria such as the FritzZyme TurboStart 900 Saltwater, Instant Ocean BIO-Spira, and Dr. Tim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Saltwater Aquaria (these basically convert Ammonia, which is harmful, to Nitrate, which is mostly helpful).
that is what it is, it is bottles of bacteria, the first one I think is a temporary fix it breaks down ammonia and the second one is the one that has bacteria that does it forever. the ones you are talking about take a while to arrive and I cant find anywhere, I will get it though. The only reason I haven't been ordering it is because it takes a while to arrive and I thought there was some near me, I will order it now and I think it will fix my problems.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My crab stopped moving and so did my ghost shrimp, so I immediately did a 50% water change and the ghost shrimp started to move and then went back to normal and dug a hole then went out of the hole and went into one of the decorations. the crab was still laying there but it twitched it's leg when I was adding the new water but still wasn't moving. I added half of a cap of "Seachem Prime Fresh and Saltwater Conditioner - Chemical Remover and Detoxifier" It says it works for about 48 hours. when I mixed it in the crab moved it's claw a little bit, I am hoping it will revive. I am checking on it now, it is still not moving, I moved it and it moved it's leg ever so slightly to touch the ground. Fingers crossed it will come back!!! Edit: I refilled the filter.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back