OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait no the bacteria comes in today the stability one I will try it and see if it works after 24 hours and if it doesn't I will go as far as I need to get the bacteria you mentioned. also the ideal setup I am aiming for is a 50-100 gallon main tank and the 10 gal I have right now will be the filter like a big bio filter that filters the water. We are trying to find a tank we like on craigslist and after a while we will have a big tank hopefully.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't help you much with the filter (I'm one of the handful of people on the forum here who are looking to use strictly biofiltration like macroalgae, rocks, seagrass, etc. to keep nutrients in check), but a new thread asking for good filter suggestions for an overstocked 10 gallon would probably be wise (let them know in the thread that you are looking to upgrade soon; hopefully you could get a bit more/better advice from others on the forum here for nutrient control in the process too).
THERE WAS BIG SEWEDGE SPILL IN OCEAN SO I CANT GET NEW WATER HOW DO I MAKE MY OWN
You buy a saltwater salt mix (Instant Ocean brand is the cheapest, and it works just fine), mix it well with good water (RODI water is preferred, but some people do use dechlorinated tap water - this comes with some potential risk, depending on what's in the tap water where you're at), test it to make sure the salinity/specific gravity and temperature are good (close to your current salinity and temperature), and it's ready for use. It's generally a good idea when changing from one salt brand to another (or in this case, from ocean water to artificial seawater) to change it out slowly (like 10% a day or similar) to prevent parameters from changing too quickly.

Instant Ocean has two major salts, the regular (linked below - there's an instructions section there too) and Reef Crystals - either would work, but typically the regular is slightly cheaper.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok also is Seachem AmGuard™ good?
To quote the forum's resident expert chemist on AmGuard and Prime:
Like the claims about Prine, I am not convinced it does anything useful.
I’d love to know if it does anything useful. Don’t be fooled into assuming all hobby products do what they claim. Some some do not.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To quote the forum's resident expert chemist on AmGuard and Prime:
I used prime it works, one time I was at 3.0 ammonia and it made it go down to safe levels of like 0.1 or 0.25 after slowly decreasing slowly after adding 5ml of it but it stopped working after a day or two as advertised

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok stability isn't working I have api marine quick start that is all I was able to get I have a 16oz bottle of bacteria the ammonia and nitrite levels are high I want to know how much of this stuff I need to add.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok stability isn't working I have api marine quick start that is all I was able to get I have a 16oz bottle of bacteria the ammonia and nitrite levels are high I want to know how much of this stuff I need to add.
They say to add 20ml per 10 gallons for saltwater tanks, so I’d probably suggest adding 20-40ml to start and see from there.

With the ammonia, I did a little more reading up on it, and it seems Prime (and other conditioners that are designed to supposedly detoxify ammonia) can interfere with ammonia test results - so you may want to test the water a while after a water change but before adding any sort of ammonia control products.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know less about skimmers than I do about filters honestly, so that’s another one I’d ask the forum in a new thread.
Ok and 1 more thing is it bad to have multiple filters, my new one has biomax in it. I got another filter suggestion and I want to add it as well is it bad to have too many filters and how many filters until it is too many? If there can be too many.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok and 1 more thing is it bad to have multiple filters, my new one has biomax in it. I got another filter suggestion and I want to add it as well is it bad to have too many filters and how many filters until it is too many? If there can be too many.
It's not necessarily bad to run multiple filters, but it could be if the tank is over-filtered. If a tank is over-filtered, it's nutrients would basically just bottom out (i.e. the Nitrates and Phosphates would read 0 when tested). I don't know how problematic this would be in your tank since you don't have any corals or similar creatures, but I'd assume it wouldn't be ideal. Another potential issue is too many/too large of mechanical filters could create too much flow in the tank, but I'd guess you would need a seriously over-sized filter to cause real issues with that.

You can know that you have too many filters when your tank's nutrients start bottoming out - at that point you likely have one filter too many. At that point, you can unplug one and see about getting the nutrients stable (and replug the unplugged one as needed/keep it as a backup for in case one of the other filters fail).

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not necessarily bad to run multiple filters, but it could be if the tank is over-filtered. If a tank is over-filtered, it's nutrients would basically just bottom out (i.e. the Nitrates and Phosphates would read 0 when tested). I don't know how problematic this would be in your tank since you don't have any corals or similar creatures, but I'd assume it wouldn't be ideal. Another potential issue is too many/too large of mechanical filters could create too much flow in the tank, but I'd guess you would need a seriously over-sized filter to cause real issues with that.

You can know that you have too many filters when your tank's nutrients start bottoming out - at that point you likely have one filter too many. At that point, you can unplug one and see about getting the nutrients stable (and replug the unplugged one as needed/keep it as a backup for in case one of the other filters fail).
Ty also can I check this post out quick I made it in the wrong one
Ok I am at the beach and found a few interesting things. First, 3 massive hermit crabs.
20230122_151818.jpg
20230122_151831.jpg
Second, a beautiful sea snail. 20230122_152329.jpg Third, a weird alien rock with egg patterns.
20230122_144121.jpg
Fourth, a metal thing. Fifth, some sand dollars.
20230122_152332.jpg
Questions: can I use the samd dollars for decoration, what can I do with the hermit crabs? Sell them or something maybe use one small one in my tank for maintenance? What is the alien rock thing and what is the metal thing. Also I found an octopus giant one and a live sand dollar can I use the sand dollar for my tank? I let the octopus go.
20230122_153151.jpg
20230122_150657.jpg
and is this a good spot to find live rocks?
20230122_144340.jpg
if you can make the response fast cuz I'm about to leave 20230122_151055.jpg 20230122_150437.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty also can I check this post out quick I made it in the wrong one
Generally, the bigger the hermit crab, the less safe it is for other living things, so I’d leave them at the beach. Similarly, the prettier/more decorative the snail shell, the more likely it is to be predatory and eat the herbivorous snails, so I’d leave that one too.

I’m not sure off the top of my head what the rock thing is, but I’ll see if I can’t figure it out. There’s no pic of the metal thing, so I have no idea there.

Sand dollar shells (called tests) should be fine for decoration. Live sand dollars tend to do very poorly in tanks from what I’ve seen, so I’d say to leave that one at the beach as well.

Good choice to let the octopus go.

As long as the rock has been in the ocean for a substantial length of time and you can legally collect it, pretty much anywhere should be a good spot to collect from.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, the bigger the hermit crab, the less safe it is for other living things, so I’d leave them at the beach. Similarly, the prettier/more decorative the snail shell, the more likely it is to be predatory and eat the herbivorous snails, so I’d leave that one too.

I’m not sure off the top of my head what the rock thing is, but I’ll see if I can’t figure it out. There’s no pic of the metal thing, so I have no idea there.

Sand dollar shells (called tests) should be fine for decoration. Live sand dollars tend to do very poorly in tanks from what I’ve seen, so I’d say to leave that one at the beach as well.

Good choice to let the octopus go.

As long as the rock has been in the ocean for a substantial length of time and you can legally collect it, pretty much anywhere should be a good spot to collect from.

20230122_150437.jpg here is metal thing the other snails had thin brittle shells so they were killed by the crabs. Can I sell the hermits because that is how alot of people with tanks do they buy their creatures

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230122_150437.jpg here is metal thing the other snails had thin brittle shells so they were killed by the crabs. Can I sell the hermits because that is how alot of people with tanks do they buy their creatures
I'm not sure what the metal thing is. Legalities aside, the crabs would likely be hard to sell, as not many people keep coldwater tanks, and the crabs are big enough that they would likely kill most other critters put in a tank with them - so you'd need to find someone who wants large, coldwater hermit crabs for their tank (and that's going to be a very niche group of buyers to have to find).

I do love the barnacles on the hermits' shells though.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the metal thing is. Legalities aside, the crabs would likely be hard to sell, as not many people keep coldwater tanks, and the crabs are big enough that they would likely kill most other critters put in a tank with them - so you'd need to find someone who wants large, coldwater hermit crabs for their tank (and that's going to be a very niche group of buyers to have to find).

I do love the barnacles on the hermits' shells though.
I called reefers garage from the beach and asked them if they would buy my big hermit crabs i just found, they declined. Lol

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS OTHER GUY SAID THIS IS ILLEGAL I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA IS IT ILLEGAL? I has fishing and crabbing license is that enough? Is it illegal for me to sell creatures?

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy said this on the other thread, I don't know if he knew the laws here because he lives in Florida

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy said this on the other thread, I don't know if he knew the laws here because he lives in Florida
I don't know the laws for California either, but it wouldn't surprise me at all - most states regulate what you can and can't sell without permits.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back