OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how much of the tap water can get in there for it to be bad, A drop or 3 got in there by accident

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok in order to get the temp right I put like half a gallon of it into a bag and floated it on top of the tank water to make it the same temp before actually adding it and mixing

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With regards to quarantine, it is usually a very good idea to quarantine, but QT is generally more for fish than inverts (and when inverts are QT’d, it’s mostly to protect the fish). It’s still a good idea thoigh - I’m not disagreeing. Plus, as mentioned, I’m not an expert on invert diseases, but the shell-splitting on the shrimp sounded more like a water-quality issue related molt (almost certainly caused by keeping too many too large animals in the tank).

That said, these are definitely valid points - you don’t want to keep animals in a tank that’s smaller than what they’ll need long term, you don’t want to have too many animals in one tank (overstocking typically isn’t a good thing), and you do want to research any animals you want to keep before you get them so you can know you can meet their needs.
I'm not an expert either. I just saw in some of the original posts that there were fish in this tank. It was mentioned that a kelp bass was in this tank. I'm not sure of this person has released the size of these animals atm.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert either. I just saw in some of the original posts that there were fish in this tank. It was mentioned that a kelp bass was in this tank. I'm not sure of this person has released the size of these animals atm.
Yeah, the crabs and bass and such get way too big for a 10 gallon (and you'd basically need a pool to keep the bass happy long term) - but the bass died, the OP hasn't mentioned having other fish in the tank, and the OP has mentioned that they are currently looking at getting a tank that should be big enough for the crab and shrimp they have.

Regardless of the size of the animals, though, I would guess you were spot on that the issues OP is having with the tank are caused by the tank being overstock with too many, too large animals.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea the kelp bass was too slow and got snatched by the crab
Yeah, the crabs and bass and such get way too big for a 10 gallon (and you'd basically need a pool to keep the bass happy long term) - but the bass died, the OP hasn't mentioned having other fish in the tank, and the OP has mentioned that they are currently looking at getting a tank that should be big enough for the crab and shrimp they have.

Regardless of the size of the animals, though, I would guess you were spot on that the issues OP is having with the tank are caused by the tank being overstock with too many, too large animals.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost shrimp went into crabs home and got mildly injured I am not sure where so ghost shrimp is alot slower and likes to sleep more

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg no joke I think there was like an egg or something in my sand because I just saw an oval shaped creature swin through my tan before disappearing but while it was swimming around I saw its 2 antennas and 2 little back legs with a kind of a teardrop shaped body sharp on the butt and it had sort of a line through it and it was about a centimeter long or less. Based on what I saw I believe it is a baby sand crab and it's shape is more sharp rather than round so I am positive that it is one of those rare clawed sand crabs. I assume it dug down because it disappeared and I don't think it got sucked up by the filters because the fluval is the only one with a big enough hole to fit it and it it put of the tank rn to fix the propeller bc he accidentally flipped the power switch to outside where my tank is.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoved the carbon and biomax from the fluval into the other filter so the bacteria doesn't die while the fluval filter is under maintenance, can I do that? BTW the reason why the fluval isn't in there is because the propeller stopped working.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg no joke I think there was like an egg or something in my sand because I just saw an oval shaped creature swin through my tan before disappearing but while it was swimming around I saw its 2 antennas and 2 little back legs with a kind of a teardrop shaped body sharp on the butt and it had sort of a line through it and it was about a centimeter long or less. Based on what I saw I believe it is a baby sand crab and it's shape is more sharp rather than round so I am positive that it is one of those rare clawed sand crabs. I assume it dug down because it disappeared and I don't think it got sucked up by the filters because the fluval is the only one with a big enough hole to fit it and it it put of the tank rn to fix the propeller bc he accidentally flipped the power switch to outside where my tank is.
There are a few creatures it could be based on that description, but my first thought would be an ostracod.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shoved the carbon and biomax from the fluval into the other filter so the bacteria doesn't die while the fluval filter is under maintenance, can I do that? BTW the reason why the fluval isn't in there is because the propeller stopped working.
I have no idea.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few creatures it could be based on that description, but my first thought would be an ostracod.
An ostracod does look similar but the antennas on sand crabs are the thick ones that are in a certain shap- waittttt, i thought these
1674766894795.png
things were the antennae but it turns out their real antennae are these
1674767044884.png
I meant those little back things not antennae lol mb.

OP
OP
A

Amethyst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WAIT I HAVE A PICTURE OF THE THING I SAW, I TOOK A PICTURE OF THE TANK WITH MY PHONE AND IN THAT PICTURE I CAUGHT IT!!! it is very small and also I have a little orangish plant growing I saw a little sprout I think there was a seed.
1674937893081.png
this is all I have of the creature I saw, when I saw it I just took a quick picture of the tank to see if I could find it and I did that is it. (even though it is really blurry it is better than nothing)

Back