General Dosing Questions

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided to take some steps to join the community of competent doser's. Knowing I'm not able to take care of the basic daily matters such as waking up on time for classes, I'm going to try a system that I know will work a bit simpler. I have a number of specimen cups that I'll be pre-filling with a weeks worth of doses, then pouring one in the morning, one in the evening. My question is if anyone sees any issues with the mixes/plans that I have. I'm going to determine exact dosing amounts as i progress so I'm not worried so much about that, more if anyone sees something I should be dosing in AM/PM or if someone sees an issue with mixing two additives into a cup and storing together for aprox a week and if it will either decay the additive or something.

So AM dose will be:
B-Ionic Part 1 (the Alk additive)
Microbacter 7
- Possibly Vitamin C
- Possibly Strontium
- Possibly Iodide/Iodine
- Possibly Magnesium

PM dose
B-Ionic Part 2
Vodka/Biofuel (one or the other, not both of course!)
Any of the possibles that should be put into tank after lights out as opposed to before lights come on.

For the possibles I'm not sure if I'll be adding daily, weekly, or what, so the main question becomes if I add them in with the other items, will there be a reaction (either negative for the aquarium or simply a negation of any benefits after putting in (such as if I mixed part's 1 and 2 and just got a precipitation of calcium carbonate.)
Any tips and pointers would be much appreciated, thanks!:angel:

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend you look at the sitckies here with diy 2 part and research dr holmes-farley's improved diy two part.

See:

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

For instance the alk additive is baking soda. the calcium additive costs $20 for a 50 pound bag.

I have heard that dosing Iodide/iodine can be dangerous if over dosed.

And that you should not dose things you can't measure.

I also do not like or recommend vodka and prefer macro algeas.

my .02

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as a proponent of vodka dosing as I am, I would not advise starting it with all that you are changing. As with most things you need to dose and test as beaslbob said. I would start off with the 2part first and get the system stable just with that and regular water changes. Also if you do go down the carbon dosing road in the future remember that vitamin c is a carbon source also. I tried all the mixtures including vodka/sugar/vinegar, just vitamin c, vodka/vinegar and just vodka. I continue to dose because it allows me to feed heavily and also no longer use gfo. There are many methods and you just have to find the one that works for you.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way too much dosing, IMO. Dose B-Ionic--Alk in strong flow, Ca after the alk has dissolved--every morning before the lights go on. Add Mg as needed to keep that level up. The rest of the stuff (I, Sr, etc.) can be handled by doing regular water changes. Once your system is stable and remains stable, consider a carbon-dosing strategy. Top off your water at the same time, unless you have some kind of automated topoff. Total time spent will be about 5 min. Keep it as simple as possible.
Gary

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back