General opinion on variety of SPS v. consistency

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I carefully plan out adding the first few SPS pieces to my 96 gallon tank build, I started wondering what people think about adding lots of different varieties of SPS, versus concentrating on only a few species but adding them in multiple areas of the tank. My thinking is this - I would like to a nice blend of color in my reef, but in nature it would seem natural that you would see the same species spread out throughout the typical view we create in our tanks (4' or so).

I'd love to get some opinions and some full tank shots of how you have added SPS to your display and whether you focused on maximizing variety or used fewer species to achieve a potentially more natural looking reef.

Looking forward to your feedback.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mount twice as many as I know that I will end up keeping. As they grow, I weed some out and trade them - mini colonies bring a nice haul. I will also keep multiple of the same kind, if I really love them, and keep the best one in the best location.

I would carefully consider your placement of Montis, Stylo, Poci and Birdsnest since they can take over large area and almost become invasive. You also have to consider stags since they really only get fantastic as they get large - you want them near the bottom and let them grow up a long ways. Smooth skinned acropora need to be kept lower if your tank has a good amount light - everybody thinks that they have a good amount of light in their tank and some do not. Otherwise, I pretty much put stuff where I feel like it.

Back