Generally speaking, what are some of the most “bulletproof” fish and corals?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hardiest, most resilient, least prone to disease and death. I am curious about both fish and corals. From your experience, which ones are the most bulletproof? (Are there any so hardy you wish you could remove them but find it hard to?)

I am referring to the fish and corals that can cope easily with a new system, and therefore are good as first / early additions.

Of course I very much intend to give them the best health and environment I could possibly give them.

Which fish and corals are the least bulletproof and most fragile?

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick with all of these bulletproof corals and such is not keeping them, it is containing them.

Mushrooms, Candy Canes / Trumpets, and agree on Clownfish. Good hearty fish.

Keithb22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worried about Zoanthids. Heard they can poison humans. What about mushrooms and Toadstool / Finger Leathers And photosynthetic gorgonians?

just don’t go cutting them or man handling them. Any coral you should use gloves for precautionary measures. Never know what you may grab. Clownfish/damsels are insanely hardy. Zoanthids, leather corals, the green star polyps. Toad stool.calfo has a book called coral propagation and it breaks down a lot of the different corals. Also there is one by bornman called aquarium corals that also explains conditions and parameters.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL I generally have no problem keeping zoanthids, shrooms. ricordia, anemones, fish, inverts, acropora, brains and some LPS. Put a Duncan, most monti's (caps ok) or acans in my tank and they croak. I used too but generally don't keep leathers and other softies to keep the chemical warfare to a minimum. Things like xenia are easy but can quickly become a pest.

There's lots of so called "beginner" fishes and I like and keep a lot of them like clowns, wrasses like 6 line/cleaner/melanurus, purple psuedo, royal gramma. With a few exceptions most of the dwarf angels are pretty easy to keep too.

To be honest though while some may be tougher than others its really about keeping your tank up to par to keep things alive and not introducing pests/infections. With a new tank just build up population slow.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so handy as I am just starting out. Question - which of these will survive you being out of town a couple of weeks with only an automatic feeder? I understand the clowns and damsels will with flake food but what about corals?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Shrooms, palys, firefish goby, basslets and coral banded shrimp

Todd1white

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t go wrong with a few chromis
63BF41EE-BD1A-439C-9EFD-9911DA7A1FA8.jpeg

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so handy as I am just starting out. Question - which of these will survive you being out of town a couple of weeks with only an automatic feeder? I understand the clowns and damsels will with flake food but what about corals?
I spent the past 1.5 years out of town M-F and everything did just fine with an Apex feeder loaded with new life spectrum small sinking pellets and a block of nori on a clip (4-5 full sheets folded 2x2"). Corals will be fine getting leftovers and there main source of food is fish poop anyway. Thanks to Corona I'm back home to stay and the fish are fat.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back