Generator is working the night shift. UPDATE! Everything has survived over 15 hours with just a 900 watt generator and very little sleep.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s crazy! Driving out west back in 2004 and woke up to 3” of snow in Santa Rosa, NM. You would have thought the world was ending. The hotel asked us if we wanted to extend our stay to wait until the snow melted. It was laughable being from Michigan but turns out we couldn’t go anywhere because they shut down the expressway. So we hopped on back roads and went the long way lol.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a problem, I would have to check the receipt to be sure but I think it was like 6500 installed. About 2000 above the retail price of the generator which you can buy online for 4-5000. The price difference to install the smaller 16-18 Kw models was only a few hundred bucks. It also provided them an opportunity to install a household surge protector.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is estimated run time on 50% load... so you will probably get around 7 hrs at 3/4 load rating before refueling. if you plan on running any expensive sensitive electronic equipment get an inverter generator as the sine wave created is more pure and less prone to damaging them.

Thinking of getting this one.

Says it

• Runs for up to 13.5 hours on a 4 gal. fuel tank with built-in fuel gauge

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R
That’s crazy! Driving out west back in 2004 and woke up to 3” of snow in Santa Rosa, NM. You would have thought the world was ending. The hotel asked us if we wanted to extend our stay to wait until the snow melted. It was laughable being from Michigan but turns out we couldn’t go anywhere because they shut down the expressway. So we hopped on back roads and went the long way lol.
Roads are already clear. We did have some road closures north of Amarillo on 287 to Dumas which is where I actually live. I think that was mainly due to the # of jackknifes that had traffic backed up. Temps are now rising and melting quickly.

The roads have been Very icy at night the past few days and then with this much snow sitting on top of ice created a deceptive appearance to the actual condition below.

And many people just don’t know how to drive when It snows.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is estimated run time on 50% load... so you will probably get around 7 hrs at 3/4 load rating before refueling. if you plan on running any expensive sensitive electronic equipment get an inverter generator as the sine wave created is more pure and less prone to damaging them.

Ok, thank you

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not a problem, I would have to check the receipt to be sure but I think it was like 6500 installed. About 2000 above the retail price of the generator which you can buy online for 4-5000. The price difference to install the smaller 16-18 Kw models was only a few hundred bucks. It also provided them an opportunity to install a household surge protector.
Thanks for the info. Definitely something I’m wanting to pursue after the last 15+ hours of this and refueling every 2 hours. Less sleep than when my second child was born and she had colic.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything has now normalized. Corals are looking good as do all other inhabitants of the 4 tanks. Tortoises are enjoying their warm enclosure again and have been feeding on lettuce from my wife’s hydroponic garden. I think we made it 15+ hours without a single death! And with only a $100, 900 watt generator from Harbor Freight.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's such a big deal because it makes them avail to the masses. I would have never waited this long for one knowing theyre that cheap.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Hope you had a chance to warm the house and the water back up and refuel.

Hang tough.

Yes the Mrs. in some ways is more emotionally invested in the fish than I, though she couldn’t care less about the stony corals haha

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Hope you had a chance to warm the house and the water back up and refuel.

Hang tough.

Yes the Mrs. in some ways is more emotionally invested in the fish than I, though she couldn’t care less about the stony corals haha
I am definitely with her as far as my passion being for fish over coral. I fully QT fish/treat every new fish but corals and inverts only get the 76 day QT but I don’t scrub or dip any of them. And the 76 day QT is just to protect the fish.
The house dropped to 63 before we got power so not bad. The animal room got down to 55 and the tanks out there got as low as 68 to 71. The smallest tank being the worst. The 120 gallon in the house didn’t get below 73. Main thing is that everything survived. It just would have been easier with a little larger generator and a non issue with a whole home generator.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 8750 watt was bought after the gentran was wired into the house. Those circuits were left off because the first generator we had was 1/2 the size.
Does your predator Generator auto start for instances that no one is home?

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did u have heater plugged in
Not on this tank. Since it was larger volume and the house temp was holding more stable than the outbuilding I focused more of the generator power to the building. Space heater, tortoise heat bulb, circulation + heat for 3 tanks (5 gallon, 20 gallon, and 30 gallon), and a small fan to circulate the heat from the space heater. It was working that little generator hard and everything more that I plugged in risked overloading it and jeopardizing everything. If it wasn’t for the space heater then I could have plugged more in.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Does your predator Generator auto start for instances that no one is home?

No. It's just an electric start.
But I figured even when working if the power were to fail I'm usually only a couple hours away at most.
My wife is never more than a 1/2 hour from home.
My wife has fired up the generator by herself several times.
All you have to do is lift the dog house style cover off, turn the gas on and hit the start button and flip 6 switches.
Most tanks are good for alot longer than people think.
I've had power outages go on for a week or more and usually in the past I've run the generator until about midnight. Shut it off and got up and fired it back up by 4:30-5am.
This has happened a couple times with this pattern.

A few years ago I got a small 1000watt Yamaha that I put in my shed and run cords for tank circulation and heat.

Back