Generator is working the night shift. UPDATE! Everything has survived over 15 hours with just a 900 watt generator and very little sleep.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been snowing here for the last 3 days. This evening it really started dumping on us and we lost power about 7pm. It’s come back on a few times but doesn’t last long. This little 1000 watt tailgater generator from Harbor Freight is working great. It saved me a couple years ago when I only had 1 tank and it’s saving me tonight with 4 tanks and running a space heater on a low setting.
Guess it’s time to up my game in the generator department. Predator 6,500 or 9,000 should serve all of my needs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at 10 hours now. Ambient temp in the building has gotten down to 61. A few hours ago the tanks were about 73 degrees. I need power soon. I’m about to need to vacate my tortoises to a warm vehicle. I ran out of premix fuel and had to mix some gas up in the garage about an hour ago to keep the generator fed. Since starting the hobby this is the longest outage I’ve had. Hope the power is back soon.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only been running the circulation pumps to this point. Generator isn’t equipped to handle all of the tank heaters and the space heater. And if I try to crank the space heater up any higher than it is now it over works the generator.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m at 10 hours now. Ambient temp in the building has gotten down to 61. A few hours ago the tanks were about 73 degrees. I need power soon. I’m about to need to vacate my tortoises to a warm vehicle. I ran out of premix fuel and had to mix some gas up in the garage about an hour ago to keep the generator fed. Since starting the hobby this is the longest outage I’ve had. Hope the power is back soon.
The last time I lost power for a few hours I wound up going to Home Depot and buying a converter box for my truck actually and what I did was to hook the inverter to my truck battery and ran an extension cord through the living room window to my truck and kept my whole system alive for two days perfectly with that the only downside was having to keep my truck running the whole time I did that

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I lost power for a few hours I wound up going to Home Depot and buying a converter box for my truck actually and what I did was to hook the inverter to my truck battery and ran an extension cord through the living room window to my truck and kept my whole system alive for two days perfectly with that the only downside was having to keep my truck running the whole time I did that
I can do that also. My truck has 2-110 volt factory outlets. The generator uses less fuel, it’s just not big enough to power pumps and heat for all of the tanks along with the space heater.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks in the building are now 69-70 degrees. I’m adding the 3 tank heaters to generator power. Only 1 heater per tank. This adds 225 watts to what the generator is powering. If I didn’t need the space heater then this little generator could handle it all easily. I was going to order a new RO/DI system tomorrow that I’ve been saving for but now I really need to think about having a larger generator. Way too many animal lives at stake to not be fully prepared. My family and I can dress warm and bundle up. Tortoises and fish cannot.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can do that also. My truck has 2-110 volt factory outlets. The generator uses less fuel, it’s just not big enough to power pumps and heat for all of the tanks along with the space heater.
I was only running one tank and refrigerator

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you heat water somehow?
Yeah, I’ve got an electric kettle that I could heat water from the truck. House is all electric so no gas stove but it can still be done. Great idea. I’ve also got 1/2 gallon mason jars that I can float with the boiling water for the 120. The other 3 tanks are now hooked up with their heaters. Thanks @lmm1967

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve now filled the generator 5 times. I’m getting a little over 2 hours between fillings. I just used the last of the mix I made at 4:30 this morning and just filled it again.

garage smells like gas so I’ve got the garage door propped open to vent the fumes out.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve now filled the generator 5 times. I’m getting a little over 2 hours between fillings. I just used the last of the mix I made at 4:30 this morning and just filled it again.

garage smells like gas so I’ve got the garage door propped open to vent the fumes out.
Watch those fumes - it's the ones you can't smell that do the damage !

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back