Generator is working the night shift. UPDATE! Everything has survived over 15 hours with just a 900 watt generator and very little sleep.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your normal heat source in your house?
So I said earlier that the house was all electric but our heat and water heater are gas but no gas lines for stove.

We still have hot water but heater is out due to needing electricity to circulate. Central heat and air.

The building has a 12,000btu mini split with heat pump. No power there.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not take much power to run the furnace if it is gas. I have a transfer switch on mine and have run it with a small generator.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not take much power to run the furnace if it is gas. I have a transfer switch on mine and have run it with a small generator.
Maybe something to look at for the future. I don’t have a transfer switch on mine. Good suggestion. Wife and I have contemplated a whole home generator big enough to power Our home and the building. We were thinking of doing something big when she gets this years bonus around Christmas. We were thinking 4 wheelers before the city bought the field in front of our house to build an elementary school.

Nathan Milender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what your budget is but I was able to get a 22kW generator installed on my house that automatically kicks on in a power outage. They told to think about changing the oil if it runs for a week or two without stopping. Takes 20-30 seconds to kick on.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generator went from working the night shift to now working day shift. Power company still saying there is no time frame for the power being restored.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Once you get through this and have time to plan it out, having a whole house generator with a auto start is really nice. But I've managed to be very comfortable for years with just part of the house powered with a generator and a separate box for the generator.
I currently have a Predator 8750watt generator that powers about 3/4 of my house. Everything but the kitchen stove and the washer and dryer. I do have my hotwater heater on the powered circuit.
Good luck. Hope your power comes on soon.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It crazy because I have been thinking about a small generator or battery pack just for the unexpected. But, I'm not sure which one to buy since I would want to power the aquarium heater and return pump.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get through this and have time to plan it out, having a whole house generator with a auto start is really nice. But I've managed to be very comfortable for years with just part of the house powered with a generator and a separate box for the generator.
I currently have a Predator 8750watt generator that powers about 3/4 of my house. Everything but the kitchen stove and the washer and dryer. I do have my hotwater heater on the powered circuit.
Wow, 8750W wasn’t enough to power the stove or washer/dryer? I have a 5500W that powers both, simultaneously, and the rest of the house. That seems so odd.

Best of luck, OP. Wishing you and your animals well.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure I would be fine with a larger generator since outages don’t really happen often. Last one was for 6 or 7 hours last fall or spring I think. Other than that we only have outages for a few minutes at a time. I’m interested in the auto start function as that is what will save me when we are all away from the home for work and school.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It crazy because I have been thinking about a small generator or battery pack just for the unexpected. But, I'm not sure which one to buy since I would want to power the aquarium heater and return pump.
How large is your heater? The pump won’t be an issue as they are generally low consumption. If all you need are those then the little 1,000 watt from Harbor freight like I have will do you. Just remember that you may also want to be warm and your wife might want coffee in the morning. If I had to do it over I would have at least doubled to 2,000 but now wishing I would have done even larger so I could power more than just tanks and a few small things.

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow, 8750W wasn’t enough to power the stove or washer/dryer? I have a 5500W that powers both, simultaneously, and the rest of the house. That seems so odd.

Best of luck, OP. Wishing you and your animals well.
The 8750 watt was bought after the gentran was wired into the house. Those circuits were left off because the first generator we had was 1/2 the size.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what your budget is but I was able to get a 22kW generator installed on my house that automatically kicks on in a power outage. They told to think about changing the oil if it runs for a week or two without stopping. Takes 20-30 seconds to kick on.
Power consumption the last few hot months was 2,600 to 3,200 kWh. I was hoping to get away with around $10-$12k. Do you mind me asking what the total for your outfit was installation and all?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I am stressed for you. Your location says Amarillo, wouldn't think you'd almost ever see snow.
We don’t usually see a bunch of snow but every few years but wind is a major reason for power outages around here.

My backyard this morning:

38119A4F-CF17-4DBE-860B-0F92D2AF103B.jpeg

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your heater? The pump won’t be an issue as they are generally low consumption. If all you need are those then the little 1,000 watt from Harbor freight like I have will do you. Just remember that you may also want to be warm and your wife might want coffee in the morning. If I had to do it over I would have at least doubled to 2,000 but now wishing I would have done even larger so I could power more than just tanks and a few small things.
Thank you for the information and yeah it's a 20G Waterbox 50W Heater & Nero5. I'm a single man with no kids or wife so I would rather the tank survive lol

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t usually see a bunch of snow but every few years but wind is a major reason for power outages around here.

My backyard this morning:

38119A4F-CF17-4DBE-860B-0F92D2AF103B.jpeg

Yeah, that I know. My wife is from southern Ok, and I can't imagine all of the wind and Tornados you all get.

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the information and yeah it's a 20G Waterbox 50W Heater & Nero5. I'm a single man with no kids or wife so I would rather the tank survive lol
If that is all you need then $100 will buy the Tailgater from Harbor Freight and power those with no issues and wattage to spare.

F3B00C3D-8CE4-4185-B633-23A2830F453D.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonK84

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recorded 7.9” over the last 24 hours and most of that was between 5pm last night to around 1 or 2 this morning.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back