Generosity in reefing: How have you made a difference in the reefing community this year?

How have you made a difference in the reefing community this year (select all that apply)?

• I participated in the R2R Toys-for-Kids drive

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I participated in the R2R Secret Santa event

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I volunteered at a reef event

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I freely shared corals, fish, or other reefing gear

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I participated in a water-related community event

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other (please explain in the thread below)

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Generosity in reefing: How have you made a difference in the reefing community this year (or how has someone else made a difference for you)? There are so many ways that R2R members regularly make a difference in the world around them. Whether it is the R2R community giving to Toys-for-Kids, the many reef club members that volunteer their time for frag swaps and other events, those who have helped others rebuild their tanks after hurricanes, those doing beach and river cleanups, as well as giving to a range of marine conservation organizations, so many of you continue to be so generous. Thank you! Tell us about your volunteering and difference-making experiences in the thread below!

ToysForKids2022.png

Whether it is donating to the R2R Toys-for-Kids drive, participating in the R2R Secret Santa, volunteering at a local frag swap or other reef event (yes, I saw many of you being awesome!), volunteering at a local nature center, helping with waterway clean ups, freely sharing fish/coral/equipment, or supporting reef conservation organizations, please think about how you can make a difference in the world around you. Remember that even if you don't live by an ocean, rivers are important too because they lead to the ocean and to reefs so participating in waterway clean ups wherever you live is important! I can tell you that as I participated in the events listed above it has made a big impact for me as I have worked to make a difference in my world. How has making a difference in the reefing community made an impact for you? What are other ways that you would like to make a difference or would encourage others to make a difference? If you have worked to make a difference yet then please look around to see what you can do and jump in - together the R2R community can make a huge impact!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides helping others here at R2R and being on the Reef Squad, I frequently give away corals and old but very usable aquarium hardware. I also offer help to anybody here who wants to go snorkeling in the Florida Keys because it's good to know when and where to snorkel and how to stay legal if you do any collecting!

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drove down to Florida this year, added income to the local communities, bought a Florida saltwater and freshwater fishing license, stayed and spent money at a couple of spring fed State Parks.

Hopefully some of that money went to conservation of Florida ecosystems.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides helping others here at R2R and being on the Reef Squad, I frequently give away corals and old but very usable aquarium hardware. I also offer help to anybody here who wants to go snorkeling in the Florida Keys because it's good to know when and where to snorkel and how to stay legal if you do any collecting!

Oh wow gonna have to look you up next time I go down there. I try to go to the keys at least once a year. Sometimes with a boat rental...sometimes not and just going from shore.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a giver.

So far this year I've given away $500 in Battlecorals gift cards, two new dosing pumps to someone who needed them, and I wish my secret santa recipient would post the second box of gifts I got him so I know he recieved it...

Lets just say I don't know how to spend just $25 during the holidays.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Giving away frags, running my Facebook group answering questions. Offering advice on various forums and generally participating on various forums.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed toys for kids and secret santa, although those are things I normally take part in when I can. What I feel like I've done better with is how I reply on forums (or online in general) to others. I try to not judge or to blame others. I try to share my opinions but not push them onto others as fact. What I think is wrong to do, someone else may not have an issue with; I can't control that. What I can do is make sure my responses are conducive to a positive learning environment and not turn people away.

Having said that, I'm not perfect. Sometimes it is hard to not judge others and I may not do a great job all of the time. That is how I am trying to help the community though. I think education goes a long ways but I suppose that is the teacher in me talking.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have to tag @CodyBot for being a giving friend and sent me a new ATO for Christmas. Wasn't anything big, but something I wasn't currently able to get for myself at this moment due to extenuating circumstances.
Little gestures make a huge impact, too.

I've done a few of the giving acts this last year, but I don't like to be boastful and would prefer not to disclose too much, as finances are a very delicate subject for many.

So thankful for such wonderful, generous, selfless people on here thar just want to help other people out when they have the opportunity.

Last edited:

Aframereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I spent way too much money this year building a 400G tank and the year is still not over lol

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I helped feed alot of families this year with all the money I spent on this hobby. I could have become a certified scuba diver flown to Australia to dive the GBR for a month!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back