Genetic lineages of CB Clownfish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something about the genetic lineages of CB Clownfish is concerning me, but I’m not sure how well-justified my concerns are. This is from both a health and aesthetics perspective as I much prefer the original wild variants, but say I buy two small orange Ocellaris or Percula or Darwin Clowns, how do I know that they are the real deal and not just the normal offspring of an attempt to breed some wacky designer variant or worse, one with debilitating mutations?

How common is it that 2 normal looking parents, once they give birth to eggs, end up with a bunch of unexpected designer / deformed offspring?

Do CB Clowns live the full 25+ years?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like dogs but everyone wants the wierd looking mutt dog. Lol.
Maybe 1 day ppl will pay $500 for a pair of true percs. Lol.
Idk. Time will tell.
The longfins get me. Idk if i like em or not. Mochas yes! Nakeds yes! Lol
D

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there is actual genetic requirements to be considered one or another of the "designer" clowns as they are all the same species (obviously not if they are per vs osc etc.) with some weird mutations.

I am concerned that these clownfish are being bred with no actual care to their genetics (nor do I think the breeders actually care about the effects of inbreeding depression). How this effects the longevity of a clown, especially in regards to disease, is probably not well studied. I am making an educated guess that most clownfish and other marine fish in captivity die from either disease, malpractice in care (disease can be included) or equipment failure)

I am all for captive breeding, but I don't think this hobby does it responsibly. This isn't just with this hobby. Purebred dogs are an example. I do not like the way that many fish in the hobby are caught, and probably like other wild life collecting pet trades, for every fish successfully brought in and sold there are likely several that died.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its so hard to find a wc cinnamon clown rn. Lol. Its crazy.
5-10yrs ago i could walk into any lfs and see one. Now no. Lol.
Guess that was 5+yrs ago and i should just accept it. Lol!
D

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt there is actual genetic requirements to be considered one or another of the "designer" clowns as they are all the same species (obviously not if they are per vs osc etc.) with some weird mutations.

I am concerned that these clownfish are being bred with no actual care to their genetics (nor do I think the breeders actually care about the effects of inbreeding depression). How this effects the longevity of a clown, especially in regards to disease, is probably not well studied. I am making an educated guess that most clownfish and other marine fish in captivity die from either disease, malpractice in care (disease can be included) or equipment failure)

I am all for captive breeding, but I don't think this hobby does it responsibly. This isn't just with this hobby. Purebred dogs are an example. I do not like the way that many fish in the hobby are caught, and probably like other wild life collecting pet trades, for every fish successfully brought in and sold there are likely several that died.

I want to edit this in that when I said I don't think the hobby does it responsibly, I only meant with designer clownfish. This DOES NOT apply to fish such as captive tangs and such. I am also not saying that massive breeding companies do attempt to avoid inbreeding as I don't have evidence for this, but rather I can see that there isn't much economic incentive to create genetic diversity in their clown lineages in terms of making clowns that live long. I would love to see some of the captive breeding facilities of deisgner clown fish discuss how they are avoiding inbreeding issues.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no interests whatsoever in the “newer” varieties to begin with. I’m only really interested in the orange and the Darwin varieties but nothing really more than that.

Same goes for the other varieties of Clowns I’m only interested in the originals.

Back