OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep same. If the filter doesn't work out for keeping my flow rate steady, do you still recommend the Kamoer pump, because that is the route I will go next.

It's working for me right now. I like that it continue the same rate once I turn back on the power. My pH in my reactor doesn't fluctuate really much when the power is off.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2019-1-11_13-41-36.png

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it where I want it. That little trick of shutting off the CaRx at night seems to have solved my inconsistency in my dKH swings. The monitoring continues.

upload_2019-1-12_13-59-57.png

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested my calcium/magnesium for the heck of it and don't know if I'll continue to test for it as long as everything in the tank looks fine.

Calcium - 420
Magnesium - 1395

Why did it take me this long to get a calcium reactor? Kicking myself, lol.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a brief update on where everything is right now. I had to do a Chemiclean treatment to cure a little cyano that I had in the tank (BTW it worked out great) and monitored my dKH consumption during the treatment. You can see from the chart below that during the treatment, my dKH remained at my high level because the coral knew some wasn't quite right with the water; but once the treatment was complete and I put in GFO to get the phosphates down, the dKH consumption picked back up and now is holding steady within my range.

upload_2019-2-8_6-41-33.png

Also decided to tune up everything a little bit with the CO2 as well. The CO2 solenoid hasn't turned off at all since doing so:

upload_2019-2-8_6-42-31.png

Between the Apex and Alkatronic, it really isn't fair anymore from a maintaining dKH in my range anymore. WHat used to be a challenge (somewhat) it easy a heck these days. Wish that everyone could have an Alkatronic to get this going in the right direction so you could really enjoy everything else.

What really tipped the scale for me is the decision to run GFO on a consistent basis. With GFO only lasting a short period, I am looking into dosing Lanthanum Chloride. Will get as much info as I can using it before taking the plunge. I still have a few months before even needing to make the switch.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how I missed this but you and I are on almost identical plans right now.
I’m running:
Alkatronic for monitoring
Carx - high end stainless regulator (from Alan’s instructions)
Masterflex pump.
I had to chuckle too that I found the best way to run was pressurized into the reactor from my manifold, and pulling with the peristaltic pump.
This has made for an awesome set up! Very easy to control!

I also dose Lanthinum from time to time, If you want any tips I’d be glad to share.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how I missed this but you and I are on almost identical plans right now.
I’m running:
Masterflex pump.
I had to chuckle too that I found the best way to run was pressurized into the reactor from my manifold, and pulling with the peristaltic pump.

I also dose Lanthinum from time to time, If you want any tips I’d be glad to share.

Sweet. I know for sure that I am going to use Lanthanum Chloride for my RO/DI water to start with. I still have phosphates in my water for some reason even with brand new everything, sediment, carbon block, and DI resin. Any advice would be great. I did find a video on YouTube that seems pretty good, but always best to get some info first hand from some that actually does it themselves.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running:
Masterflex pump.

This setup has been rock solid for me thus far. 100% glad that I made the investment in the equipment for sure.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. I know for sure that I am going to use Lanthanum Chloride for my RO/DI water to start with. I still have phosphates in my water for some reason even with brand new everything, sediment, carbon block, and DI resin. Any advice would be great. I did find a video on YouTube that seems pretty good, but always best to get some info first hand from some that actually does it themselves.

I actually wrote a short “how to” on how to dose Lanthanum, it’s a few years old, but nothings changed. I’ll send it to you.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last 30 days of dKH testing:

upload_2019-2-17_7-52-58.png

Like how you can easily associate dKH swings to any activity you have done with the tank.

^^^ This is so true! Having Alkatronic has really taught me a lot about stability, and how my actions affect it. Looking forward to seeing some FTS and huge corals! Nice work:)

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ This is so true! Having Alkatronic has really taught me a lot about stability, and how my actions affect it. Looking forward to seeing some FTS and huge corals! Nice work:)

Yeah, trying to get better with taking my pictures. I am definitely getting much better growth for sure. Still learning everyday how to better take care of my SPS. At a point now that I feel I can start collecting some of the higher end stuff since stability isn't much of a factor now. Only remaining obstacle is keeping my phosphates in line. Trying to keep them between 0.05-0.10 ppm.

Also going to switch my T5 bulbs to all Blue+ to get more PAR. Some advice from a local guy that does extremely well with his SPS collection.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mitch9117
Well ladies and gentlemen, it is that time for me to venture down the CaRx journey for my growing 240G mixed reef. Some may wonder (other don't care, :)) why I am going this route. Well the simple answer is that now that my reef is getting established and the calcium requirements have increase to at least a gallon a week, time to finish off the remaining of my 2-part and save me a little $$ and setting up a CaRx.

My goal is to use the Geo 818/SMC415 in conjunction with my Alkatronic to have a system that will keep my parameters in what I consider my sweet spot (subject to change if necessary):

dKH - 7.0 - 7.5 (I know .5 swing but I can live with that)
Calcium - 450ppm
Magnesium - 1350ppm

Just a little bit of info about my current tank setup. It is a 240G mixed reef (think I said that already, ;Happy).

Controller
Currently (I do mean currently) being controlled via a 2016 Apex with most of the modules, AXM, WXM, PM1, etc.

Alkatronic - love this machine. It is a piece of ART and does wonders. If you can get one, get it no questions asked

Pumps/Powerheads
Fluval SP6
4 - Ecotech MP40wqd
2 - Maxspect Gyre XF250

Want to give a shout out to @Water Dog, @ohioboy706, @geo, Alan Le for all the help in getting this together.

Feeling a little lazy right now and will update this post later. Just wanted to get it started. Once I have everything setup, I'll leave my opinion about the Geo 818/SMC415 (for anyone that cares :D).

Would you mind describing how you feed the crx? I know you use the Kamoer to pull the effluent out of the effluent port, and then out to sump, but do you use a feed pump to push water into the crx? Or do you just drop a line into the sump from the feed port and have the Kamoer draw the water thru the reactor? Is the Kamoer strong enough for that or do you need to use a pump? Or do you use your manifold off of your return pump? If so, how much gph do you estimate you are feeding into the crx? Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mitch9117

Would you mind describing how you feed the crx? I know you use the Kamoer to pull the effluent out of the effluent port, and then out to sump, but do you use a feed pump to push water into the crx? Or do you just drop a line into the sump from the feed port and have the Kamoer draw the water thru the reactor? Is the Kamoer strong enough for that or do you need to use a pump? Or do you use your manifold off of your return pump? If so, how much gph do you estimate you are feeding into the crx? Thanks for the help!

I actually feed the reactor off of my manifold. Pretty simple really. Never really thought about the gallons per hour, I just have the ball valve opened all the way so I can keep good pressure inside the CaRx chamber. Doesn't make any noise whatsoever. My tank wouldn't be where it is without the CaRx / Alkatronic combination.

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually feed the reactor off of my manifold. Pretty simple really. Never really thought about the gallons per hour, I just have the ball valve opened all the way so I can keep good pressure inside the CaRx chamber. Doesn't make any noise whatsoever. My tank wouldn't be where it is without the CaRx / Alkatronic combination.
So you have to turn off the Kamoer and the co2 every time your return pump turns off? Does that become a pain?

boozeman27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have to turn off the Kamoer and the co2 every time your return pump turns off? Does that become a pain?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back