Geo Calcium Reactor filling with Bubbles

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Geo Calcium reactor 618. I moved things around in my sump and since then I have had issues with bubbles in my reactor. I have a masterflex pulling from the sump, and pushing through the masterflex.

I have rebuilt my DIY CO2 regulator and replaced the solenoid and needle valve and all compression fittings.

I replaced the sicce pump, the o-rings on the lid, all co2 lines, the probe holder fitting, and re teflon taped every joint.

I put a valve on the affluent and shut it off and let the reactor build pressure. I then observed for any water leaks and found none.

I am at a loss on this one. I ordered a new uniseal. I'm hoping that is the issue. Any other ideas where air could be coming from? It takes about 3 days for the reactor to fill up with air. I burb it and it will be good for another 3 days. The ph is holding at 6.58.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know what version you have? They redesigned it in 2019. Just went through a huge bubble issue in mine and finally got it resolved through a lot of trial and error.

PanhandleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember seeing a video on youtube, I think it was reefaholic, that had bubbles in his reactor. The source if I remember correctly was the top uniseal.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an older reactor. Ive had it like 7 years. I've had bubble issues in the past but was able to locate the leak and fix it easily. This one has my stumped.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My reactor was a pre-2019 build. When using a peristaltic pump such as the masterflex with this model, the reactor needs to be pressurized. I always had it setup with a small sicce pump feeding the reactor and the masterflex pulling the effluent. What ended up happening was, with my newest build the reactor was located much further away from the feed pump than previous, so it was not getting pressurized enough to remove all the trapped bubbles.

I ended up feeding it off my manifold instead which allowed me to increase the pressure. This then showed that I had 2 leaks, one from the o-ring in the top, and another from the john guest fitting for the effluent line. I replaced the john guest fitting and silicone greased the top o-ring.

Now it is working perfectly.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those that have a build up of CO2 in there reactors please read:

If you own a GEO calcium reactor that was built before 2009 (manifold connected to the lid via union) then this design was built to have pressure inside the reactor. Pressure was supplied to the reactor via small feed pump placed in your sump (MaxiJet/Colbalt 600 or Sicce 0.5) and the effluent control via micro ball/needle valve. These models went into production approximately in 1999 BEFORE continuous duty peristaltic pumps were being used in the aquarium trade. If you try to run a peristaltic pump ALONE on these models you will get a build up of CO2 since there is no pressure to compress the intoduced Co2 into the water column. Some users can get them to work normally if a high effluent rate and low Co2 dosing is used. The work around if you must use a peristaltic pump with these models, although we do not recommend this, is to use both a small feed pump (<125 gph) *****WARNING connections must be secure and O-Rings/Uni-seal in good condition******* and a peristaltic pump in the pull configuration. Yes the feed pump will be pushing against the peristaltic pump but at low enough pressure not to damage it. REMEMBER THIS IS AT YOUR RISK AND AGAIN THIS IS A WORK AROUND AND NOT RECOMMENDED BY GEO'S REEF. We do however recommend that you follow the original directions listed on our website with use of only a small feed pump. This pre-2019 design is proven for almost 20 years without any major issues. Our advice is to just use the feed pump. If you choose to use the equipment in a way that it was not designed it is at your own risk.

All GEO calcium reactors built since 2019 (manifold from side) are design to be used with only ONE of the following:
* A continuous duty peristaltic pump in the PULL configuration.
OR
* A small feed pump (<125 gph) such as a Sicce 0.5, MaxiJet/Colbalt 600.

Thank you and I hope this helps.
GEO
This was the post from geo that helped me fix my issue.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reactor was a pre-2019 build. When using a peristaltic pump such as the masterflex with this model, the reactor needs to be pressurized. I always had it setup with a small sicce pump feeding the reactor and the masterflex pulling the effluent. What ended up happening was, with my newest build the reactor was located much further away from the feed pump than previous, so it was not getting pressurized enough to remove all the trapped bubbles.

I ended up feeding it off my manifold instead which allowed me to increase the pressure. This then showed that I had 2 leaks, one from the o-ring in the top, and another from the john guest fitting for the effluent line. I replaced the john guest fitting and silicone greased the top o-ring.

Now it is working perfectly.
I wonder if I put a valve on the effluent and just crack it. It will build some pressure but not be completely blocked off I have no easy way to add a supply pump in my set up.

Lollipop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found it was because water feed in pump stopped working

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back