George isn’t strutting lately..

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as the family is going to be out of town for 3 days, I noticed yesterday that George is lethargic & lacking that pep in his step. For the majority of the day he floated upside down and/or on his side in the opposite corner of where the magic happens every night w/Weezy. Looking at him, I don’t see any signs of trauma, ich or anything that is blatantly obvious beyond his overall demeanor. Early this morning while the lights were still off, I found them both in their usual corner but as soon as they came on, he secluded himself again. Today is feeding day (I feed every other day) and that definitely caught his attention, but he seemed to have trouble getting to the food & when he did, he’d get his nose right to it & avoid it. He’s always been a good eater (what Weezy leaves for him at least) & I’m usung the same food since day 1 (frozen mysis shrimp).

My tank is about 5 months old (20G IM AIO Peninsula), and I’ve had George & Weezy about 4 months. They were both juveniles when I got them and Weezy definitely is aggressor, as expected w/the females. Parameters were checked yesterday and no spikes or concerns there. My question is, in anticipation of my trip this weekend, what to do? I have a small 5 gallon Q tank I can put him in to see how he responds, but based on the above I’m not sure what that will do beyond separate him from Weezy & the others in the penthouse.

I’ve read this might be a bladder issue & if so, it’s in Mother Nature’s hands. Any thoughts on the above??

707CF46C-AA03-4867-AE06-0435B40B8993.jpeg

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1st pic was the day they moved up.. now Weezy (bottom left in top picture) is a little bigger & thicker but you have to look close.

As for the aggression, it comes & goes but she definitely puts him in check routinely.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 report

I bit the bullet & moved George to my 5 gal QT tank after a 5 min FW dip. He did not like the FW at all, but did seem more relaxed in the QT tank.. enjoying the vacation from Weezy` . He still had rapid breathing but was no longer on his side nor upside down. Later in the afternoon he got his 1st dose of Seachem Cupramine.

Day 2 of QT

Moving around better today, still a little lethargic. Rapid breathing comes & goes but no spots or visual signs of illness. I tried feeding him this morning & it was the same as yesterday, he got nose to it & swam away. Fast forward a few hours & he’s moving around quite a bit and taking the biggest **** I’ve seen from him ever. Constipated??? That lasted for a while and now he’s chilling against the sump, face down.. although that’s not entirely unusual.

Keeping my fingers crossed

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 3

no noticeable changes from yesterday.. still no quite as spunky but better tha day 1 for sure. He took 1 bite of brine shrimp & at times looked interested in other pieces but eventually swam away.

Got his 2nd dose of Cupramine.. the directions on that are vague. Is it very 48 hrs or every 24hrs after the 2nd dose?

Attachments

• IMG_4777.MOV
    5.4 MB

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back