Geo's Reef Rubbermaid Stock Tank Sock Holders

Discussion in 'Geo's Reef' started by geo, Sep 1, 2016.

1. pirate2876

pirate2876 Valuable Member

It was shipped and shipping was almost the same price as the bin. You might be able to find something locally if you live near any feed stores.

Another thing to note is that you may not want to fill this all the way up. A store by me used these for a live rock display and had an issue with one of them busting. Maybe they overfilled it? Who knows. I only keep mine 3/5 of the way full.

2. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Woah these are awesome! I hadn't ever ran across these. Too bad the price can't be lower. A lot of materials I assume.

mch1984 likes this.
  3. mch1984

mch1984 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

That’s some good info thanks. I can get the Rubbermaid stock tanks locally. I just liked the shape and deminsions of this better.

4. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

The Buckhorn units will bow as the are not really made for water like the rubber made units.

pirate2876 likes this.
  5. mch1984

mch1984 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hub City Reef Club

I’m in the very beginning stages of planning a fish room with a large system in it. I have something very specific I want to do with the “sump”. I’ve been trying to come up with some ready made containiers that would fit the space and and my needs. Starting to lean towards making a plywood sump, then I can customize it completely. I will probably still be callin geo to make me some sock holders though.

6. DangerDave

DangerDave Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I’ve seen them used by a reef store locally, filled almost to the top. I just got one for a sump, picked up from Grainger. It’s not filled, still working on layout. They’re rated to hold 900lbs. I think I’ll have about 75 gallons in there.

7. reefwiser

reefwiser LMAS R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

I use the buckhorn units in food processing plant. They get replaced regularly as can crack on the bottom.

8. DangerDave

DangerDave Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Do you think that’s from the load, or from being moved around?

Draft saved Draft deleted