OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, your worms have fine tastes. Too bad the spray method cannot work for you. Hopefully you don't have too much encrusting this early. If so, check into some different shapes of diamond wire hand saws on Amazon. Made quick work when I had to rehome some colonies.

As to dips, I've used all of them. Bayer, CoralRx, Melafix, Revive... but for AEFW in particular, none compare with KCl in my experience. None of my acros were bothered by KCl unlike CoralRx (which I like for use against MENS).

I have tried ALL of the in tank treatments and had no luck at all. Some people believe it worked for them. I went 0 for 3 on full treatments. Snake oil IMO.
Really appreciate the insight and your experience on this. I’m making a plan now to attack this weekend.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the insight and your experience on this. I’m making a plan now to attack this weekend.
I like what you have going on there so I am happy to contribute. Plus I could learn from some process enhancements you come across.

The bit that took me a while to sort: make the dipping process quick, easy but thorough. Start thinking about the rack size and rack height and colony height and match that with a suitable dipping vat that makes efficient use of tank water and dip solution.

Also, pay attention to which frags/colonies actually are under attack. Sounds like you are already clued in but watch when you baste. Eventually you might be able to segregate which pieces are troubled. That was my case anyway. I went (eventually, after I got wise) from dipping 17 racks to just 3-4 racks that my worms were really after.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last pic before I tear it apart. ;Sorry

76109CAE-8AFB-4B22-9A0A-978C9ED4373B.jpeg

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear what you’re going thru with the AEFw bro. I’m local to you and I discovered these monsters in my tank about 6 weeks ago and I second the drain the tank and spray with potassium chloride method. It is a very viable option and believe it or not it is much easier than taking them out and dipping them.

reefdudes did a video on it recently and I followed his video and used Potassion p by Brightwell. This method really works and being that you have a lagoon it should make it even easier to do. The video that was posted on this method suggested to spray and soak for 15 min. I went as far as soaking them for nearly 30 min and absolutely no stress to the sps. I was really skeptical and scared at first but it’s going on 7 weeks and I have not lost any acros with this method. It’s super easy to do after the nervousness after the first time. Pm me if you have any questions

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear what you’re going thru with the AEFw bro. I’m local to you and I discovered these monsters in my tank about 6 weeks ago and I second the drain the tank and spray with potassium chloride method. It is a very viable option and believe it or not it is much easier than taking them out and dipping them.

reefdudes did a video on it recently and I followed his video and used Potassion p by Brightwell. This method really works and being that you have a lagoon it should make it even easier to do. The video that was posted on this method suggested to spray and soak for 15 min. I went as far as soaking them for nearly 30 min and absolutely no stress to the sps. I was really skeptical and scared at first but it’s going on 7 weeks and I have not lost any acros with this method. It’s super easy to do after the nervousness after the first time. Pm me if you have any questions
Nice input; good to hear. Just curious if you felt the need to do anything to remove "excess" potassium from the system?

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Appreciate it!
I guess my point as to pumping the water out and the tank being a lagoon is that I have SpS on the bottom of the tank and cannot really remove enough water to get to them or else that would mean I’m removing my fish as well. I’m considering pulling the corals that are low and racking them and doing the water removal method. I’ll be documenting whatever route I go and we shall see how it turns out.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it!
I guess my point as to pumping the water out and the tank being a lagoon is that I have SpS on the bottom of the tank and cannot really remove enough water to get to them or else that would mean I’m removing my fish as well. I’m considering pulling the corals that are low and racking them and doing the water removal method. I’ll be documenting whatever route I go and we shall see how it turns out.
Would be great if you could share.

Do you have on hand:
a) a large enough barrel or stock tank?
b) a big butt pump?
c) some hose and some spare PVC?

I can do a 50G WC in under 20 minutes now that I have good tools/pump and process.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be great if you could share.

Do you have on hand:
a) a large enough barrel or stock tank?
b) a big butt pump?
c) some hose and some spare PVC?

I can do a 50G WC in under 20 minutes now that I have good tools/pump and process.
I have everything I need in storage and I’m going there this weekend to retrieve anything I will use on this project including heaters and pumps to keep the water temp correct while it is out of the main display. I might try my hand at videos with this.

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice input; good to hear. Just curious if you felt the need to do anything to remove "excess" potassium from the system?
Not at all. If you think about it. I used only 4 grams of potassion p to 100 ml of water and it wasn’t used up entirely so there was no need to reduce Potassium.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pests are beyond irritating and I wish them on no one. My lack of adding to this post is more so due to my frustration. Many colonies have grown out amazing and I do not want to miss what the process of moonshiners has done to this tank after ovet a year.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this began in mid October and you are still doing treatment? That is quite the slog -- and I am well aware what it is like. I am in a pretty good place now, but given my previous experience I know they are not done yet. Frag system only, so dipping isn't that big of an ordeal anymore. Just tedious and time consuming.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from dipping and basting the SPS, tank is still growing like a weed with all the other corals.

8B5E61E6-9BE8-42A4-9069-BBD017CE00DC.jpeg
I assume you still use the Reef Moonshiner’s Exodus Dip for the AEFW defense?
Tank looks great otherwise considering the situation you are in!

Good luck-
Andre

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you still use the Reef Moonshiner’s Exodus Dip for the AEFW defense?
Tank looks great otherwise considering the situation you are in!

Good luck-
Andre
Yes! I haven’t seen egg clusters in a few weeks. Slowly the colors to my bigger affected colonies have been coming back. My initial thoughts are I had such a bad infestation that until I had dipped over 2 months every week and really decimating the egg laying adults I wasn’t making making progress. I’m still not sure if the exodus dip was 100% effective on all the eggs but I did have many clusters that didn’t hatch and instead kind of dissolved a few weeks later. It is hard to make a definitive statement that it was getting into the eggs but I can say it definitely took care of all the adults. I also had very minimal stress on the dipped corals even though they stayed in the dip for 60min each time.
The colonies that were not affected are still attached to the rockwork and growing beautiful following the reef moonshiners method.
I know the tank wouldn’t look anywhere close to how good it does without moonshiners.

383A5BEA-40A2-42CC-A130-E4215A1D8D36.jpeg 4D9FEAD2-DBDA-4D22-B2C5-811E124A3462.jpeg AF8BC095-7EBC-49B7-B0AA-5D67BB769565.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back