OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking on moving the clowns to my small side tank that had my angler in it. They can rule that tank with no issues. Maybe get them a Nem.
There is a yellowtail damsel in there that escaped the angler so they won’t be lonely. Lol ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top down shots taken today. Things are coming along nice during the 10th month.

4DBC4052-AB36-46BF-9E4B-BE528CE127E1.jpeg 93DF77ED-616D-4C84-AEC2-2F7BD20490FB.jpeg F5F9D75A-7AAF-40C5-9975-E0387D01A5E4.jpeg 5AB1798F-BE34-4958-B4F9-F6DC35126D79.jpeg 568E4FB2-4A96-4021-A2D6-42575B34F53B.jpeg 1E9B20DE-6180-4D74-B3F3-25875DC1CF4D.jpeg BF4A5BC9-8A5F-4072-BF5B-2B0661B05E02.jpeg 8E213A91-5068-4CA7-AECF-CDE854652D0C.jpeg 35B2AF24-9CF4-42A9-B496-C3C637D0EF71.jpeg 345F0D3C-505F-40E9-82F0-47ABE15D41E7.jpeg

Saltydog69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I purchased for the side cabinet. I will put the Cube fuge in the upper right area. I won’t be able to pull it out on the sliders the cabinet came with but I have plans to use them for my control board under the display. My current plans are to frost the glass on the other side door since it will be used for misc fish stuff but I’m toying with using that as a dosing pump cabinet and backlighting it with LEDs. Still have time to decide on that though.

53BFC5C1-960B-4C79-B50E-3AC429883A44.jpeg
I love this where did u get it from?

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up on that 1yr mark. For the most part the thought out design of this system has had very few problems. Only a few things I would change including emergency overflow drains for the side tanks and titanium heaters from the start but for the most part it did it’s job very well. I have even taken 2 vacations and somehow survived a freeze with no power and the tank is still going strong. Got a big update coming in a few weeks with growth comparison pics on tons of corals. 1yr sump cleaning and swapping out the heaters for titanium as well.

532145DB-23CC-44FB-A6E0-B6A2997999D7.jpeg

taima1shu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love everything about your build. I'm especially jealous at how colorful the SPS are! Definitely an inspiring tank. Keep the pictures / videos coming!

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is the last post I wanted to make but even with all my dipping, cleaning, and getting corals from well known sources I have unfortunately introduced Acro Eating Flatworms into the tank. Can’t express how disappointed I am right now. This past year is a wash and sadly I don’t know if I am going to keep things going, restart, or tear it down and take another break. Really sucks to be writing this.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is the last post I wanted to make but even with all my dipping, cleaning, and getting corals from well known sources I have unfortunately introduced Acro Eating Flatworms into the tank. Can’t express how disappointed I am right now. This past year is a wash and sadly I don’t know if I am going to keep things going, restart, or tear it down and take another break. Really sucks to be writing this.
Sorry to hear about the aefw. I've been through them twice, but luckily only in my frag/grow out system and not in my display. I have been clear for a few months now knock on wood.

It is work to solve for aefw, but you have two options:

a) Cut ALL acros off the rocks, rack them and dip them in potassium chloride weekly for 6 weeks. Scrape for eggs. If there are too many eggs, just frag it and trash the rest. On the second go, I was ruthless about this.

b) Leave the corals in situ, but pump enough water out to expose the acros. Sprits/spray the acros with KCl. Refill. Here is a video on that method.

The key here is KCl. 3 grams per liter or about a tblspoon for a gallon. It is very safe on acropora. It does not stun AEFW. It KILLS them very dead, very quickly. I swear mine would actually shrivel & melt.

Yeah, neither option is great once you've gotten use to an autopilot tank, but it is totally doable. You might be surprised to find that your worms have strong preferences for very few acro/milli and will leave the rest alone. Any questions, fire away.

OP
OP
Jgerm

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the aefw. I've been through them twice, but luckily only in my frag/grow out system and not in my display. I have been clear for a few months now knock on wood.

It is work to solve for aefw, but you have two options:

a) Cut ALL acros off the rocks, rack them and dip them in potassium chloride weekly for 6 weeks. Scrape for eggs. If there are too many eggs, just frag it and trash the rest. On the second go, I was ruthless about this.

b) Leave the corals in situ, but pump enough water out to expose the acros. Sprits/spray the acros with KCl. Refill. Here is a video on that method.

The key here is KCl. 3 grams per liter or about a tblspoon for a gallon. It is very safe on acropora. It does not stun AEFW. It KILLS them very dead, very quickly. I swear mine would actually shrivel & melt.

Yeah, neither option is great once you've gotten use to an autopilot tank, but it is totally doable. You might be surprised to find that your worms have strong preferences for very few acro/milli and will leave the rest alone. Any questions, fire away.

Yes the worms have already selected the colonies. Master yoda, star scream, strazzleberry, princess peach, pc rainbow, pink lemonade, Miyagi tort, yellow tip, and Bill Murray. The rest are clean as of now. It is insane how fast they moved in.
I’ll be picking you brain here soon with questions. Thanks for the info.
I know red bugs & black bugs from previous tanks but never once got AEFW and it feels like the kiss of death in an Acro tank. ;Dead

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the worms have already selected the colonies. Master yoda, star scream, strazzleberry, princess peach, pc rainbow, pink lemonade, Miyagi tort, yellow tip, and Bill Murray. The rest are clean as of now. It is insane how fast they moved in.
I’ll be picking you brain here soon with questions. Thanks for the info.
I know red bugs & black bugs from previous tanks but never once got AEFW and it feels like the kiss of death in an Acro tank. ;Dead
Sadly, your worms have fine tastes. Too bad the spray method cannot work for you. Hopefully you don't have too much encrusting this early. If so, check into some different shapes of diamond wire hand saws on Amazon. Made quick work when I had to rehome some colonies.

As to dips, I've used all of them. Bayer, CoralRx, Melafix, Revive... but for AEFW in particular, none compare with KCl in my experience. None of my acros were bothered by KCl unlike CoralRx (which I like for use against MENS).

I have tried ALL of the in tank treatments and had no luck at all. Some people believe it worked for them. I went 0 for 3 on full treatments. Snake oil IMO.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%
Back