Get some gsp they said..they'll never die :p

stauzin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have problems growing some types of gsp in my larger tank for some reason too. My smaller tank they grow like crazy.. same salt mix and regimen, really weird. Other corals do perfectly fine, zoas grow like nuts.
Ran multiple icp test also and nothing show elevated.

pic below is a gsp frag thats one year old ‍
ED43A412-8C75-40E2-927A-3045FC115ABD.jpeg

3EFF3827-48B6-441B-9F65-AB17D43B1F34.jpeg

OP
OP
DoomervilleG

DoomervilleG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my magnesium test finally arrived today and it showed 1230 using salifert. I ran it three times, because it's a new test and wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly. I've read that is lower than the minimum..so currently, kh: 11, cal 380, mg 1230..those numbers make sense to you veterans?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my magnesium test finally arrived today and it showed 1230 using salifert. I ran it three times, because it's a new test and wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly. I've read that is lower than the minimum..so currently, kh: 11, cal 380, mg 1230..those numbers make sense to you veterans?
If your alk is 11. Normally you'd find your Cal around 410 and Mg around 1350.

Those are a little low.

I'd dose them up slowly.

But those aren't GSP killing numbers? MG can be between like 1250 and 1400

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I do weekly 5g, I did an extra one about 2 weeks after they closed up. Right now I'm sort of just riding it out, as all of the numbers are stabilized for the most part where everything seems happiest. I did change my whites/blues schedule a bit to see if that would help. I don't imagine its a flow thing, but still learning. I'm running two 660gph e-current heads, I have a skimmer running 3 days a week (I've found if I run it anymore than that, it overskims and I'm afraid of it tanking out my nutrients) and the return was upgraded with a sicce 1.5 (300+gph, I believe).

Right now I have zero algae in the tank and what I suspect is green coraline on the rockwork. aside from some gha growing on an astrea snail that we have dubbed "Harry." Slightly worried about that, as the tank is so new, I figured there would be an awful lot more of the uglies happening than there has been.
I wouldn't turn the skimmer off. Feed more if anything. Heavy in and heavy out is what's best for coral. By turning the skimmer off 3 days a week your nutrients and Ph aren't stable.

Back