Getting a 6-line and peppermint shrimp to live together

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm curious if it's possible to get a peppermint shrimp and a 6-line wrasse to co-exist. I know mine is already a shrimp killer cause I watched him do it but it's probably my fault on how I introduced the shrimp to the tank. Is it possible to introduce a peppermint shrimp after the wrasse has already been established in the tank without the wrasse killing the shrimp? I'm thinking about trying to introduce one at night after the wrasse is in his cubby for the night and seeing if that will help.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm curious if it's possible to get a peppermint shrimp and a 6-line wrasse to co-exist. I know mine is already a shrimp killer cause I watched him do it but it's probably my fault on how I introduced the shrimp to the tank. Is it possible to introduce a peppermint shrimp after the wrasse has already been established in the tank without the wrasse killing the shrimp? I'm thinking about trying to introduce one at night after the wrasse is in his cubby for the night and seeing if that will help.
If your six-line already killed a peppermint shrimp I doubt he'll leave any future peppermint shrimp additions alone even if you introduce the shrimp at night. Six-lines are pretty smart. You might be able to get him to co-exist with a skunk cleaner shrimp their coloration tells most fish that they're a friend not food, but of course some fish still see a shrimp dinner.

OP
OP
Thunderrap

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your six-line already killed a peppermint shrimp I doubt he'll leave any future peppermint shrimp additions alone even if you introduce the shrimp at night. Six-lines are pretty smart. You might be able to get him to co-exist with a skunk cleaner shrimp their coloration tells most fish that they're a friend not food, but of course some fish still see a shrimp dinner.
Dang, the only reason I wanted the shrimp was for aiptasia control, I don’t want to keep putting chemicals in my tank to ray and get rid of them.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, the only reason I wanted the shrimp was for aiptasia control, I don’t want to keep putting chemicals in my tank to ray and get rid of them.
Totally understand not wanting to use chemicals. I was able to use berghia nudibranchs in a tank of halichoeres and leopard wrasses to get rid of aiptasia. I bought adult berghia from Salty Underground and introduced them at night while all the wrasses were asleep. The adult berghia reproduced and were able to eliminate the aiptasia within a few months. Since the berghia are nocturnal they did their business at night while the wrasses were asleep. YMMV but it’s worth a shot to try berghia, just introduce them well after your six-line is asleep.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back