Getting a pair of dwarf angels (not a mated pair): Can it be done safely?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame and a cherub in 125 G, the flame is twice the size or more than the cherub, the flame is the boss, very little bickering. :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after reading all these positives, think I might try again. My wife really wants a potters and currently have a dbag flameback(harrasses everyone in the tank, until my large male anthias put's him in his place).

Would it be better to add a smaller then current angel, roughly same size, or larger then current angel?

Will definitely have to go have a read on @OrionN's thread about how to sex them. I'm assuming I want to add a female as my current may very well be male(I've had him for about 3 years now)?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after reading all these positives, think I might try again. My wife really wants a potters and currently have a dbag flameback(harrasses everyone in the tank, until my large male anthias put's him in his place).

Would it be better to add a smaller then current angel, roughly same size, or larger then current angel?

Will definitely have to go have a read on @OrionN's thread about how to sex them. I'm assuming I want to add a female as my current may very well be male(I've had him for about 3 years now)?
I only have extensive experiences with Flame angels. I have some experiences with a few other but not any where near as much. Best bet is to add small angels. In a reasonable large tank, Resident male dwarf angel will tolerate a female dwarf angel of any species OK. There won't be any killing. Adding the second male is the problem, or another dwarf angel mature and check sex. This only happen very rarely if there is a resident male already. In order to not add a male, you must be able to sex a adult dwarf angel, or else add a juvenile. Some dwarf angels degree of dimorphic are more so than other, although if you observe enough of them, I am sure you will find some degree of dimorphicity for all of these angels (I think). Regardless, you can bypass this all together if you add a juvenile. Potter Angel is a very beautiful angel, but becasue it is one of the larger of the dwarf angel, I have not keep them. I am hooked on Regal, Majestic, French and Flame angels. I always keep Regal and Flame in my reef. I like to keep breeding units of fish if possible and often don't mix dwarf angels. I did keep Coral Beauty, Flameback, Cherub and Flame many years ago in my 420.

I don't have a thread on sexing Flame angels, but commented extensively on these if the subject come up.
Here is one of the thread:

Also here is a thread on Potter Angel sexing:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back