Getting a used tank, help needed

ChloeB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting some supplies off from Craigslist. And im grabbing it today. 15 gallon tank with lights and filter with also the basic necessity. But I didnt realize it also came with a paired clown fish. Im not really sure what to do, i dont want to stress the fish. Please help me, any tips and tricks to have these fish feel at home

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - Don’t panic

Assume you are getting an already setup aquarium.

Very important to have plenty of 5 gallon buckets to transfer rock, sand, fish, etc. Also get extra saltwater from LFS. Get extra help for move and setup. Get pictures of how everything is setup especially any plumbing. Did this with my first 34g setup and things went well.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to bring a foam cooler or something to keep the fish in when traveling to help maintain a decent temperature. Prime OR bottled bac can help keep the fish from getting ammonia poisoning (Prime if it came with wet/cycled substrate, bacterial culture if not.) If you don't have food for them, nano Reef Frenzy is great

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No biggie, Chloe, just get a few food grade 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot to drain the water into.

-Take the rocks and put them into the buckets and fill with the aquarium water.

-You can also take the clownfish home in one those buckets filled with water. Just reserve a bucket for them without any rocks to prevent them from being crushed during transit.

-I'd remove the sand and get a new bag- a new bag of live sand from Carib Sea or whatever is inexpensive and worth it in this case, in my opinion. It'll make the tank a bit lighter and you don't have to worry about any nasties that may be in that used sand.

-Then when you get home, add the new sand, rocks, fill it with water, wait for it to get back up to temperature and cleared up from the sand debris, and you should be good to add the fish in.

If it's a quick trip, then you shouldn't have to run a heater or air pump. It's a good idea to have a few gallons of fresh saltwater at home ready for this, just in case.

OP
OP
C

ChloeB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38624A1D-9BD9-43F1-96DD-F10899BECEB2.jpeg

thank you everyone for the great tips! Here is an update the two fellows. The tank definitely needed a deep clean, im gonna be heading to my local fish store to pick up more water and possibly redo the sand bed. Also these guys dont have any names so leave any suggestions!

OP
OP
C

ChloeB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found out these two clowns are frostbite paired clown fish. Previous owners got them as a pair. And he intended to breed these two. If it does ever happen in under my care, what am i suppose to do with the babies. Also am i allowed to keep a cleaner shrimp insode the tank with these two clowns

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding fish at home is incredibly difficult to do, but possible if you really want to try it. You'll have to do a lot of research, reading and watching.

Regarding the shrimp, you can keep them with the clowns.

OP
OP
C

ChloeB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal for the skin to look like this on a frostbite clownfish? I see patches of scales on her white….

Attachments

• 634A0761-441E-4A88-BDE3-6A8272D3ECB0.jpeg
    634A0761-441E-4A88-BDE3-6A8272D3ECB0.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 34

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. Keep an eye on the fish and if it appears to be getting worse or stressing the fish, start a thread in the fish disease section :)

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found out these two clowns are frostbite paired clown fish. Previous owners got them as a pair. And he intended to breed these two. If it does ever happen in under my care, what am i suppose to do with the babies. Also am i allowed to keep a cleaner shrimp insode the tank with these two clowns
The tank might be a bit small for breeding them clowns

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back