Getting Algae on Snail....thats it :)

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering why i'm getting algae on my trocus snail and that's it... Barely a trace anywhere else in the tank. The tank is 4 months young :)

I also was battling Cyano but that's gone. Every day I get a bloom of brown stuff on the glass that I scrape off which isn't bad...just curious what that is. Thanks for the help guys!

IMG_5855.JPG

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He came in with it on the shell and it’s growing now so you notice it.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed my trochus snails spend a lot of time near the top of the tank so I’m assuming they get more light on their shells helping algae grow. They will go onto the rocks sometimes and the hermit will find them and clear the algae IME

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He probably came with it and its just now grown to length you can see it, plus he can’t reach it! I’d get some hydrogen peroxide and a Q tip so you can safely apply it to his shell (being careful not to get it on the snail itself) before it has the chance to spread when he rubs up against your rock work.

keithfish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering why i'm getting algae on my trocus snail and that's it... Barely a trace anywhere else in the tank. The tank is 4 months young :)

I also was battling Cyano but that's gone. Every day I get a bloom of brown stuff on the glass that I scrape off which isn't bad...just curious what that is. Thanks for the help guys!

IMG_5855.JPG
Clean the shell with a toothbrush. I dip the

a firm tooth brush in peroxide and scrub it. Dunk in a bit of tank water to rinse and then repeat until its all gone. Hold the shell so no peroxide comes in contact with the living parts of the snail.

OP
OP
S

Servopkg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the shell with a toothbrush. I dip the

a firm tooth brush in peroxide and scrub it. Dunk in a bit of tank water to rinse and then repeat until its all gone. Hold the shell so no peroxide comes in contact with the living parts of the snail.
Do you take the snail out of the tank to scrub it with a toothbrush or in the tank?

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you take the snail out of the tank to scrub it with a toothbrush or in the tank?
You know, it's not worth the stress on you or your snail. Leave it be. IF your tank does not have a lot a algae, you cn often use a clean toothbrush - gently - right where the snail is sliding along. Also, you may be able to pick it off with your fingers. Trocus can be almost impossible to "pull off" without injury. He's just an old guy from the sea who's looking good with his algae.

keithfish1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, it's not worth the stress on you or your snail. Leave it be. IF your tank does not have a lot a algae, you cn often use a clean toothbrush - gently - right where the snail is sliding along. Also, you may be able to pick it off with your fingers. Trocus can be almost impossible to "pull off" without injury. He's just an old guy from the sea who's looking good with his algae.
I have done this many times with great results. The snail getting stressed? Really, I'm going out on a limb and stating there was no stress involved. If there is a problem solve it.

Moscar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this many times with great results. The snail getting stressed? Really, I'm going out on a limb and stating there was no stress involved. If there is a problem solve it.
If there is no problem. leave it be. Reef gently.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back