Getting back in hobby, need assistance on equipment for Waterbox Frag 105.4

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bit the bullet after being out of the hobby for several years and ordered a FRAG 105.4 (72 G display and 30g sump).

Bought my ATO (Tunze 3155) and my RO/DI unit (7 stage BRS deluxe). I've also honed in on 2 AI Prime HD 16s for the lighting, just waiting on a nice "Black Friday" sale to pull the trigger.

Only think left is my return pump, heater and skimmer.

Any suggestions on GPH and brand of return pump? I want to go with a DC pump this time for energy saving and quietness and hear that I should shoot for 10 X my tank volume. Tank volume is 72G and sump is 30G so total of about 102G.

Advice/suggestions on these?

Return Pump (DC pump preferred)
The SICCE SDC 6.0 on which does 530 to 1450 GPH?
Jebao Sinewave DC6500 does up to 1710 GPH
Hydor Seltz D-1600 does up to 1600 GPH

Skimmers:
Totally confused on which brand, how big etc? Someone recommended a Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4” Internal Protein Skimmer but BRS recommends this for only up to 75G?

Heater:
BRS Titanium 300w with inkbird controller?

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using the jebai DCP 10000 on my 180. So far so good, but I have read mixed reviews on them. It does seem you can go wrong with the Sicce. Also most of the modern research I have done say 4-5x turn over. In my 180 gallon about that. The DCP 10k is rated for 2300ish GPH at max. Im running at 50% and with the piping and headpressure im guessing im right at 1k gph on my system.
The Reef octopus skimmers have a good reputation, and since your display is only 72 gallons, then it would be right in with the BRS recommendation. I just got a RSK 600 for my 180, its still breaking in, and I got a deal on it used otherwise I was leaning toward the new Maxspect jump skimmer.
I am using 2- 300w titanium heaters with the BRS inkbird. I am happy with it so far. I would consider going with 2 heater elements instead of one. If one goes down then you will still have some amount of heating.

OP
OP
P

Poisns1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up ordering the Sicce Syncra SDC 6.0 for the return pump at 30% off (Black Friday) from BRS

I also ordered a Bubble Magus Curve 5 as I couldn't pass up the price of $125 including shipping from Premium Aquatics (also Black Friday deal).

I have yet to select the sand. I really like bright white sand and I notice that many reefers choose the Caribsea Fiji Pink sand. I know it has some grains that are pink but is the overall look white? If not can anyone recommend a sand?

pandry15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - my Waterbox Marine X is a couple of weeks away so I'm in the same position as you were last month - getting the equipment (total volume is about the same - 100G). I haven't heard back on my thread either as far as recommendations but in my research the same pump and skimmer you bought made the top of my list. Never heard of Premium Aquatics so I checked them out for the skimmer - didn't get a deal like you got but still found it to be $30-$40 cheaper than other sites so I pulled the trigger! Thanks! anyway how is the build and how is this equipment working for you?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back