Getting back into reefing, question on led lighting.

slipstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi there everybody! I’m getting back into reefing after 10-15 yrs on hiatus. I picked up a red sea 350 with x2 Red Sea 90 lights. I’m going to eventually like to focus on sps after the tank stabilizes. I have absolutely no exp with leds. Would a pair of Red Sea 90s be sufficient? It’s the 72 gallon 47x21x20, does anyone know if there’s any issues with this system also? I read something about the larger Redsea tanks splinting at the seams. Is this the case with the smaller tanks? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there everybody! I’m getting back into reefing after 10-15 yrs on hiatus. I picked up a red sea 350 with x2 Red Sea 90 lights. I’m going to eventually like to focus on sps after the tank stabilizes. I have absolutely no exp with leds. Would a pair of Red Sea 90s be sufficient? It’s the 72 gallon 47x21x20, does anyone know if there’s any issues with this system also? I read something about the larger Redsea tanks splinting at the seams. Is this the case with the smaller tanks? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I run two AI Prime 16 units on my RSR 350, and this arrangement produces sufficient lighting for my needs (sofites, LPS, and a ball sponge, hidden away in a darker corner). I don't have either of the lights at over 90% output, either.

The RSR350, like all tanks, has its issues, and primarily with strange and annoying gurgling and dripping noises associated with the downspout and overlow chambers. The "ATO" system is also ridiculous and completely inadequate. That being said, it's a solid unit, and I haven't heard about seam-splitting on the smaller tanks. And the seam-splitting seems to have been at least partially attributed to shoddy construction of the cabinets. I have had a tank burst its seams on me in the middle of the night, but it wasn't a Red Sea unit, which just goes to show you that it can happen to tanks put out by other companies, too.

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I was kinda in the same boat as you a year ago when getting back in after about 15 off. I tried several expensive led units on our reefer 450 including the red sea 90s x 3. All I can say is I,ve been back on metal halides for 5 + months and cant be happier. Dont want to get in that debate, but for me and our sps its a no brainer. I guess the saying cant teach an old dog new tricks would be appropriate, if the new tricks were as good as the old ones?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only been using leds for a few maybe 5 years also and I've had a couple tanks with led only, I have 2 main tanks right now on led and t5 lights, I recently just added the t5 to one and I can see a growth difference. And a big difference in shadowing.

Those leds should do fine, and great for the beginning stages, but the good thing is you can always add lights as your needs grow, I have added several lights to one of my systems in the past 2 years.

I've never used the rs lights but I like them as a company and use their dosing pumps and believe them to have a standard quality, so I would bet it's a good light and tank to Start back up with. It's great your getting back into it, its definitely fun starting new tanks up I kinda want to do it again, good luck with it :)

Back