Getting back into the hobby.

biomekanic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

To make a long story short, I got out of the hobby in 2007 when I lost 3 tanks due to the rail road spraying herbicides on the tracks near my apartment. Fast forward 12 years, 2 "careers", 5 apartment moves, 1 marriage, and now a house purchase later, and I'm getting back into the hobby since I have a place that's actually mine and space for it.

I'm planning out my 1st tank; a 40G breeder Xenia, proto/palythoa tank. The 1st question I have, is would having a 2nd 40G as a sump be overkill? Given that Petco currently has their $1 a gallon, 1/2 off tanks 30G and over, I was thinking 2 40s would be a good way to get volume and space. I was considering using the sump as a Xenia farm for nutrient export; there's a fair number of salt water stores in the Portland, OR area that I can trade the excess too.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

After this, the next step is plumbing.

On a related note, man, this hobby has really changed since I was last actively keep a tank.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back!

Would love to see a pic of your Xenia fuge when it's in full swing!

spockwelcome.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and welcome back to the great reef adventure!!!

OP
OP
B

biomekanic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all!

Its' going to be a while before I set the tank up; I made a deal with the housemate that I have to go through all my boxes of sh... stuff before I can actually set the tank up. Gotta have something to motivate me!

On the plus side, most of it's in the garage, and she thinks turning it into a fish/coral room is a good idea.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby.

If you have the space for it, a 40g sump would not be overkill at all. I just converted to a 40g, and I am now adding a sump. I went with the 20g Long. While it definitely works, space is a little more tight. I have a space saver type skimmer(pump inside skimmer) and still have decent area for a refugium. But I was limited to space under tank in stand. Go for the 40g breeder sump if you can fit it!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the reef life! Sounds like you have a solid plan. As far as I'm concerned, the more sump the better. Gives you more options in the long run. Glad to have you with us.

Back