Getting back to the hobby for health reasons

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer and Oceanographer having served 28 years; so the sea has been my life. I am a rescue diver and lived in Hawaii for 17 years. I received my PhD in Oceanography from the University of Hawaii Manoa have been in and out of the hobby a few times over the last 40 years. My last tank was 800 gallon fish and live rock, with a 400 gallon sump/ refrum, I lost it in a divorce I couldn’t take it, it was built into the wall. My wife and I have decided to get back into the hobby to help with my PTSD, ( my shrink recommended it )but we are taking our time and trying to catch-up on 15 years of tech advances in the hobby. That and the fact we are going to move south to South Carolina in the next 6-8 months. We are planning on a 300 gallon reef tank with a 150 Gal sump / Refugm with fish so there is a whole lot of research and reading to do before we take the plunge. Any suggestions are appreciated

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (2).gif
#WelcometoR2R

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for service Chief! Although technology in reef tanks has changed, the basic of water and fish are still the same (we just know a little bit more about them). It sounds like you have an amazing background and I look forward to learning from you. Welcome to R2R!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just sitting here wondering where you have been all this time. You may need to read up on the more recent technology, but you are vessel of knowledge to others in this hobby and on this forum. You will love it here. Welcome.
Beatles Welcome.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer and Oceanographer having served 28 years; so the sea has been my life. I am a rescue diver and lived in Hawaii for 17 years. I received my PhD in Oceanography from the University of Hawaii Manoa have been in and out of the hobby a few times over the last 40 years. My last tank was 800 gallon fish and live rock, with a 400 gallon sump/ refrum, I lost it in a divorce I couldn’t take it, it was built into the wall. My wife and I have decided to get back into the hobby to help with my PTSD, ( my shrink recommended it )but we are taking our time and trying to catch-up on 15 years of tech advances in the hobby. That and the fact we are going to move south to South Carolina in the next 6-8 months. We are planning on a 300 gallon reef tank with a 150 Gal sump / Refugm with fish so there is a whole lot of research and reading to do before we take the plunge. Any suggestions are appreciated
If you're so inclined, check out Travis at "Fish of Hex Aquatics." He's enjoys helping veterans with reefing and raises awareness about ptsd. He's on youtube.

OP
OP
Pmauro55

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Pmauro55

Pmauro55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just sitting here wondering where you have been all this time. You may need to read up on the more recent technology, but you are vessel of knowledge to others in this hobby and on this forum. You will love it here. Welcome.
Beatles Welcome.gif
Well let’s see, first there was Vietnam, then Bosnia, then desert shield / desert storm, oh yes we can’t forget 3 tours in Afghanistan and 3 in Iraq. In between tours in San Diego, Mayport fl And 17 years in Hawaii

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve already signed up with bar and I’m halfway through the 52 weeks

Awesome! It sounds like you are catching up in a hurry!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back