Getting fish to eat dry food

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to get my fish on dry food before my honeymoon in August. I'll be gone for a week.I'm trying to use nls right now but I need variety. Do you guys have a go to that you use?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start mixing it with frozen or your routine foods. Decrease the amount of the foods other than the dry slowly and the fish should readily accept it by Aug. Use some quality dry flake and pellets for variety.

Congrats on the up and coming nuptials. :)

FaithKlim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 anthias at LFS that were fed frozen exclusively. Since I travel often, and Anthias eat often, I knew I would have to get them eating pellets...
NLS didn't do the trick for me, however, they love the Hikari Marine S & Seaweed extreme. I combine both into auto feeder & feed small dose 4 xs / day.

Joshua Snyder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix with frozen as well then lower the frozen food and usually have to go on a fast for 2 days as well then they will usually succumb to the dry food lol

OP
OP
Fifty8reef

Fifty8reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally been able to get them to eat P.E mysis flakes. At first with garlic drops now I don't even need them. I continue to use anyway. Now I'm hoping they'll eat something else. I have to shop around

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use Apex auto feeder as I am gone during the day. At night they get frozen. I have noticed after a month or so, fish who ate frozen only ( Copperband and banghai cardinal) readily accept dry flakes/pellets. this is one of my favorite pics as I was awaiting the feeder to drop food, all of them started to charge to the rear corner of tank where feeder is:

360xx.png

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ on using a quality dry food. There are many out there. I've been using the Hikari Marine-S pellets with good results. Clown fish and "tank boss" yellow corris wrasse had always eaten them. More recently a sailfin blenny must have accidently tried a pellet and decide he liked it after 6 mos in the tank. New addition flasher wrasse started out only eating frozen brine shrimp, but after a week was also eating bits of Reef Chili and Hikari pellets.

BryanD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the Spectrum Marine pellets. I had a lawnmower blenny that wouldn't eat anything when I got him, but started eating this then started eating algae sheets once he put on a little weight. My cardinalfish, clownfish, dotty back and yellow tang love them too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back