Getting my Mandarin Goby more food

TiffanyBeams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently just bought a Mandarin Goby. The store who sold it to my husband didn’t really give much info on it. It was brought to our attention that he might not be getting enough food. I was watching him tonight and did notice he was making the motion with his mouth that he was eating. I was also watching YouTube videos on how to know if he was eating. I saw one video that the person switched his Mandarin to blood worms and cut out the copepods all together over time. Is this possible? I’m an over worrier and this tank is stressful! I don’t want the thing to die. We are willing to try anything to help him. All while trying to deal with a butthole Wrasse who keeps chasing my Clownfish away from the rocks to avoid any potential issues with him we are trying to catch him and just get it out of the tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank, and how old is the tank?

The oneness is on us to do the research before we purchase, cannot rely on the LFS to advise all info.

They eat copepods mainly, I doubt it is possible to completely cut out copepods, they have developed over generations to eat specifically copepods, so its always a chance and a hope that the fish will eat other food.

If you have a large, mature tank, then it should be able to get enough to eat. If you have a small, newer tank, then you might be better off to return it.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred mandarins are easier to deal with. If it was me and I was dead set on keeping it I’d get on a monthly copepod subscription and ensure the little guy has a ton of hiding spots. If it was wild caught ( I don’t know if that’s still a thing) I wouldn’t try and switch it’s food. I’ve seen far more people fail than succeed.

OP
OP
TiffanyBeams

TiffanyBeams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank, and how old is the tank?

The oneness is on us to do the research before we purchase, cannot rely on the LFS to advise all info.

They eat copepods mainly, I doubt it is possible to completely cut out copepods, they have developed over generations to eat specifically copepods, so its always a chance and a hope that the fish will eat other food.

If you have a large, mature tank, then it should be able to get enough to eat. If you have a small, newer tank, then you might be better off to return it.
It’s a 55 gallon. We’ve had it for almost a year now. We have copepods growing in the back on the glass. I would assume then they are there for him to eat. Every time he’s out his little mouth is a moving. I might be over reacting, but I just want to make sure he has enough or if I should attempt to try to train him to eat blood worms.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 55 gallon. We’ve had it for almost a year now. We have copepods growing in the back on the glass. I would assume then they are there for him to eat. Every time he’s out his little mouth is a moving. I might be over reacting, but I just want to make sure he has enough or if I should attempt to try to train him to eat blood worms.
Only fullproof thing you can do is buy pods. Tisbe will seed the tank, tigrio will provide immediate food

NkSde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seed a breeder box or something with some media or macro if you’re setup for it. Keep a constant population just give it a shake every now and again

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back