Getting my royal gramma to eat

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Tuesday I recieved my fish from live aquaria, a Royal Gramma Basslet. Later at night I tried to feed it brine shrimp, and it only took one bite. The rest of the night it sat in the corner of tank. Im guessing it is stressed from the new tank? On wednesday I fed it at morning and night, and it didn't even try to eat! It is scared if me, everytime I come over it hides in the corner. I also noticed it had white poop come out, does that mean an internal parasite is hurting it? I have metroplex if there is a parasite infection. Will that cure the fish?Today when I came home it was swimming around, and hid again when it saw me so I tried to feed it, but it still didn't take the food. Is it going to die? I will post my parameters. Btw this is the first fish in my QT, I put in a bottle of bio spira 10 days before, and my ammonia was at 0.
20180920_195140.jpeg
20180920_193653.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a fish that likes to hide.

White stringy poop is intestinal parasites or worms.

Add 1 measure of metro/focus or GC/focus to one tablespoon of prepared frozen food. Do this for 14 days. You can refrigerate the mixture with meds for 5 days and then make new.

OP
OP
Stepheng101

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a fish that likes to hide.

White stringy poop is intestinal parasites or worms.

Add 1 measure of metro/focus or GC/focus to one tablespoon of prepared frozen food. Do this for 14 days. You can refrigerate the mixture with meds for 5 days and then make new.
Ok, thank you for the information HotRocks, but will it eat in the future? It won't take my brine shrimp.

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my gramma for a year. It was my second fish. My kids call it bashful because it hides in the rocks when we watch the tank. He comes out once he feels safe. I feel they are one of the more cautious and inquisitive fish out there.
I'd add some pvc for it to hide in

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely place some large 3" or 4" PVC pipe fittings in there along with a couple of plastic plants suitable for saltwater. Leave the lights off for a couple of days and no bright lights in the room - just the ambient light from window if possible.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never saw my gramma eat, I think he only ate passing food when he was hiding. Just my experience..

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another stress reducer is to cover the outside back and end walls of the tank with some dark paper. Some people paint them black (just not when the fish are in there, the chemicals can hurt the fish). ;)

OP
OP
Stepheng101

Stepheng101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help, I fed him, then took a video and walked out of the room. He would dart at something, I assume is the food.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back