Getting Out.....

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dived headfirst into the hobby some 18 months ago and now find myself lacking the energy, desire, and time management skills to keep things up and running. Alot of folks helped me get into the hobby, and now I need some help getting out. I'm looking for some input on how best to liquidate my gear and livestock.

I've got a few tanks and a couple hundred corals, some fish and miscellaneous. Some of my dilemma involves how to handle the sale of these corals....for example I have a Sunset Montipora that's the size of a baseball encrusting a chunk of Takota rock - this rock is very bulbous looking with all kinds of knobs and whatnot. Should I offer this whole coral for sale or chop it up on my Inland saw into frags ?? At what point should I "break" these corals off their rock substrate.....I'm afraid the moment I go to cutting and hacking and moving stuff around my corals are gonna stress out and go brown or worse. I've got other questions about equipment and fish too.

Please feel free to offer suggestions.....although I assume that anyone who has gone through this themselves is no longer on the forum. :squigglemouth:

encieno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that sucks to hear. It's hard to get out and retain your investment totally. Check on the net for some local forums, your location says Midwest but that could mean anywhere in Central US. I'd find some local forums first, if not, it'll end up in a shipping nightmare to unload all of the coral it sounds like.

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'm always saddened when people decide to leave the hobby, but understand that things change and priorities lead people in other directions.

The biggest question I'd have for you is: How quickly do you want / need to liquidate everything?
If it needs to go in a few weeks or less, it'll be hard to get anything near what you likely paid for it, and you should try to look hard for someone willing to come buy it all at one time.
If you have weeks or months and are just going to fade your way out of the hobby, I'd start fragging corals down to sizes that people can afford, which can help you get more money back in your pocket during this process (although it will take a little more of your time and effort).

If you're capable and willing to ship, the internet and time are on your side... I'd suggest browsing through the for sale section and see how others put together multiple frags into frag packs and sell them for a fixed price (instead of $20 for frag A, $15 for frag B, $30 for frag C, etc.). It sounds like you could potentially make multiple combinations of frag packs of your corals with some of them being as large as described. If you make up frag packs and will ship them, post them for sale on all the various hobby related forums you can (although some require a minimum post count and/or being registered for a certain period of time). Depending on how many frags you're shipping, be prepared for shipping expenses to be $35 - $55 per box for overnight shipping. And if you're going to ship, definitely take the time to learn to do it properly -- bagging of corals, styrofoam coolers inside cardboard, when to use a heat / cool pack, etc. If you put too much water in a bag, you just drive up the cost of shipping. If you put too little water in a bag, you may lose that coral. A good number of people are putting coral frags into containers instead of bags now, which I've found to work well personally.

If you have a local reef club, I'm sure there's a good number of members that would get in line for colonies as large as the one you've described (I know I would, as well as a few others in my area). Selling off large colonies doesn't usually get you as much money though.

As far as all the dry goods go... You'll never get back what you put into them financially. Depending on age and condition, 1/2 of retail is a general starting point for a lot of equipment unless there's a strong market for it used. If you're having a hard time selling the equipment, you may have to be prepared for offers closer to 1/3 of retail and decide if you're ok with letting things go for that low (and if you think you'll ever come back to the hobby).

I hope that's at least a little helpful...

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you.. When I think of people getting out, I feel relief :(

Good luck with your decision.

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.. unfortunately I can't offer any advice, but I hope you find happiness in the things you seek!

ddinox64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On another note. Here in Ca. it's only about $45 a month to have someone maintain an aquarium. You can still enjoy without the effort. Let them frag corals from what sounds like nice big pieces and they'll most likely lower rates since they'll be saving money on corals for other customers displays.

But you mention tanks. So multiply that amount. Then again. Just dump a couple and keep the one you really like lessening the burden. Once you do that. Get back to the KISS method to make it even less of a chore.

Here comes the bashing for calling it a chore.

xmjxflipx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
LOL, well i kinda agree on the point to just have one main tank for your corals and display to look at. I could not imagine having multiple separate tanks unless they were all tied up together into one system, so you can just do one big water change and just have to do daily algae removal. I kinda know where ur coming from lazyreefer, i was on a hiatus for about maybe 4 months or more im not sure how long but i stayed away from my local forum, here and away from my tank. I lost interest, did not do a water change except once, i fed my fish only once a week and i dosed my alk/calcium rarely, once a week and i would have big swings and my sps would RTN. Luckily it was only a few pieces, a regular tenuis and oregon tort and unluckily my LE icefire frag i got from mark poletti. I know by this stage of deciding to kinda liquidate everything that you have thought about this thoroughly. I dont know what caused my interest to spark back into my tank, but it did only about a month ago. I am trying to change up my tank and automate my tank with an auto top off and a doser, i use to do them manually daily. But hopefully you can decide to at least keep one tank for viewing pleasure. My reef tank was my lifesaver and stress reliever in when i took my bachelors in nursing. when i looked at my fish and tank, it just eased the stress that comes with the major. But i wish you look with the sale, and hopefully we can convince u to have one tank :) even if its just a FOWLR tank.

Last edited:

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just go with one big tank,you are not going to get your money back.and as far as frag's ,don't frag keep them ,if needed just give them to someone for safe keeping and let them have some for holding. Coral's have value yes , but for me just to keep them alive and safe is more important ,i have friend's near me that if i was getting out i would offer up the coral for safe keeping keep most of the stuff for one big system and just sell the stuff you don't want cheep , but i have more stuff than the LFS that way when you come back you have the coral and the live rock cuz there right down the street at your friend's house.and now he has some new coral as well. hit him with some salt money a little cash for cal,mag,and alk jump right back in when you want IMO.

OP
OP
lazyreefer

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for all the great suggestions, I guess the ends justifies the means. I'm not expecting to break even, afterall buying into the saltwater hobby is kind of like buying a new car....the value drops in half the moment you drive off the lot. The thought of paying someone to upkeep it while its for sale is a good idea. I realize there are several variables involved but these are questions I am pondering.

One of my main concerns is my 120 which is a decent setup, 120 RR with a Euroreef skimmer, 14 gallon ATO, 250W MH w/lumenarc reflectors and ice cap balasts, T5 supplemental, Tunze powerheads, furniture grade cabinet and canopy, BRS dual reactors, cooling fans, 40 gallon fuge, light timers and other miscellaneous stuff. Here's an older picture.....(different ATO nowadays)

fulltank2.jpg

cleansump.jpg

T5fixture.jpg

rockformation.jpg

Since I bought it 18 months ago I added all four Tunze (6025 and 6045) supplemental T5 lighting, a 14 gallon ATO crafted out of 3/4" acrylic, (very well made with float, pump, and gate valve) the reactor, approximately 100 pounds of Takota live rock, an Emperor Angel that has matured over the summer, a 6" Marine Betta, a Coral Beauty, and two Maroon clowns. There's a bunch of superman disco mushrooms and "pieces" of coral on the rock. I'm figuring the whole shebang is worth 2K....So, is that too much to ask ?? And second, is it better to keep a system like this setup so folks can see it holding water, and/or it just makes for a better presentation, or assuming it takes a while to sell (for any number of reasons) store it away in the garage empty until someone takes it off my hands ?? (or pay someone to upkeep it while I'm gone)​

I've got a 40 breeder with a TEK T5 fixture, ATI bulbs are about 6 months old and its suspended on a pulley system which makes for easy access or variable light intensity. It sits on a well made custom stand I built with a pocket door. Does asking 800.00 dollars for the setup sound reasonable ??? Its not drilled sporting a Lifereef overflow, a Euroreef skimmer, 20 gallon sump, 8 gallon ATO, a Two Little Fishes reactor, a Tunze 6045 and Koralia 3, some cool live rock that took me some time to put together, a pair of yellow tangs living happily together for over a year, a mandarin that eats Mysis, a fat six line wrasse, and a couple dozen corals. (mostly zoanthid colonies) Again, an older picture.....(power filters replaced with skimmer and ATO added)​

tank.jpg

sump.jpg

40breederstand.jpg

Lastly I have two 4' by 2' by 12" frag tanks crafted out of 3/4" acrylic, nice polished edges and corners with an 8" overflow inside along with an 1-1/2" bulkhead. Each comes with a return pump, Marineland and Ocean Runner, one has PVC plumbing which allows for flextube to tie into it and dump into sump. One frag tank comes with a 4' TEK fixture on standoff legs, 6 bulbs have right around 3 weeks of use. The other comes with two Hamilton 175W MH pendants...SE mogul style with matching ballasts. I'm figuring 600.00 for each, they'll come with some x-tras like black eggcrate, a bunch of frag plugs and fragging tools, plus one has a PVC "fixture" that ties into a wall that the pendants hang from, its a pulley system allowing for variable light intensities - while the other has a "fixture" that allows for a light(s) to be hung from them, uselfull at a frag swap.​

fraglights.jpg

fragtankscleana.jpg

This is not a For Sale post by the way, I know we have a forum for that. Realistically I can't forsee selling whole setups like this on a forum, local buyers via Craigslist and flyers at LFS are probably the way to go. But in order to arrive at a starting point price wise, I appreciate the opportunity to post this sort of thing and get some input from others. So, I thank everyone in advance and hope this post/thread doesn't violate some sort of forum protocols or rules.​

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its too bad that your getting out. If I were you I'd down size rather than getting out completely. I had a tank crash a few years ago and kinda left the hobby for a while. I had a fowlr with two clowns in it for about 3 yrs. I'm back into it now and am glad I hung on to some stuff.

ddinox64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Not only did you dive in quick. You bought the farm. All that in just 18 months? No wonder you're burned out. Never gave yourself a chance to enjoy the hobby. It became a second job for you.
Here's the thing buddy. Which you probably already know. Seems like you like the hobby so you'll be getting back in in the future. More money spent on stuff you already had. Talking future tense here.
Might as well pick the one the one like(120) keep it, and dump the rest. Start enjoying it again.

Fragtastic Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats an awesome looking 120 and rock work. Sorry to hear your leaving the hobby. When you are selling your items please send me a PM for the frag systems. Parting it out is usually the best option if you wanna sell through items quick. Really sorry to hear you go though. What always brings me back is setting up a new system! ;)

AndyDuckets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could use some powerheads/pumps maybe a new skimmer or even a new frag tank... if you're interested in parting some out :wink:

OP
OP
lazyreefer

lazyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get some For Sale threads started in the near future when I get an accurate inventory and some pictures taken.....its all gonna go.

I'll tell ya how I got started.....

I bought that 120 setup thinking I wanted to relax and enjoy a reef setup, I had done freshwater in the past. It was suggested that the half dozen fish that came with the tank be placed in another tank as the 120 would go through a cycle - a side note this is the MOST frustrating part of the saltwater hobby, dozens of varying opinions with no absolutes. Anyways, I bought the 40 breeder and set it up just to house a few common fish, the stand became more than I expected when I realized Birch plywood was only a few bucks more. I was hit with a brainstorm when the misses raised an eyebrow about the cash I was outlaying - the 40 breeder would become HER tank! :)

I have a Seaclear 40 gallon too, I bought that used thinking what a great setup for a quarantine tank - afterall I wanted to do this the "right" way. Of course the effects of quarantine on fish and whether or not corals need to be quarantined isn't even agreed upon in the hobby. Not to mention hyposalinity and copper additions to LFS tank water which would require days of acclimation. but that's another frustration for another post.

I then thought fragging some corals would help pay for the hobby - NOT TO MAKE MONEY but just pay for maintenance costs AND use for trade at my local club(s). I see a listing here locally for a frag tank and go check it out, I'm sent to one of the roughest neighborhoods in all of St.Louis and I go by myself. I'm thinking this is it when I'm led down a dark dank stairway into a cellar, (basement actually) and lo' and behold there is all this equipment. Lifereef sumps, dozens of tanks, brine shrimp stuff, lights, pumps, its packed. I'm shown one of these frag tanks, not knowing the dang thing was 4' long as it hadn't occurred to me to ask - I associated frag with small. I'm then informed if I wanted one I needed to buy both, I figured surely someone would want one so I hurried up and packed them in my Jeep and often I went heart racing. (again, the neighborhood wasn't exactly something out of a Norman Rockwell painting)

So that's my story, I went to a frag swap where I wasn't welcomed with open arms, I was kicked off ReefCentral for showing a picture of my frag tank in the local club forum - at the time had maybe 2 dozen common zoanthids in it - this was in response to a post asking what folks would be bringing, I jumped headfirst into another local club where it became clear that new ideas were not embraced with open arms, I had posts offering corals for trade or sale deleted from Craiglists by someone with way too much time on their hands, I was mislead a number of times when purchasing corals from forum posters via doctored pictures, I was ripped off on eBay, I was price gouged by every LFS in the area, and I was screwed by FedEx or the originating shipper when 1200 dollars worth of Acans were sent to my neighbor. It seems the originating shipper waived signature confirmation or FedEx driver just didn't care, after I expressed the importance of it being required, and the neighbor didn't feel it too important to tell me about the package until 5 days later. It wasn't pretty and I was informed I was SOL.....

Seeing as I prescribe to the Harry Truman method of responsibility I've just come to the conclusion I am not fit for the hobby. I'm heading out of town for 5 weeks with the possibility of being over the road full time, so I figure this is as good of a time as any to bow out. Maybe I'll take up a kinder, gentler, more relaxing hobby like......needlepoint. :squigglemouth:

110reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I must say that I have met some wonderful people on my local reef club site, and most will bend over backwards to help you and they offer great deals on frags and used equipment, and I have even gotten many things for free or on trade. That being said, it is still an expensive hobby, and is often very frustrating, so I can see why people get out. I personally have had a tank of one form or another for the past 37 years, and there are times that I want to just quit. But I don't, cause I like it too much. I do tend to make my tanks as hands off as I can, cause like you I am a "lazy reefer" and I would rather sit back and just watch my tank than fiddle with it all the time.

Sorry to hear you are leaving. Maybe you will miss it and be back, but either way, best of luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back