Getting ready to buy a Red Sea Reefer 300XL. Critique my Plan please.

Jose_Padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. First post here, but I need to get some other eyes on my plan so that I'm not setting myself up for failure, and also to get some hardware recommendations.

I first got into Saltwater aquariums and fish-keeping in general in the mid 80's as a child helping my father with his first saltwater aquarium as well as the multiple freshwater aquariums we had. My dad only kept the SW for about 2 years before he replaced it with a FW African cichlid tank, but in those two years I became thoroughly enthralled with marine aquariums. As a child and adult I have kept up with advances and techniques in the SW world, but as I have always had a job that's involved lots of travel, I've not had a marine tank since then (My wife thinks SW tanks are too difficult to take care of, so has refused to have one while I've been working). Now that I am in place in life where I no longer have to travel for work, she has decided to let me have a reef tank.

The Tank: Red Sea Reefer 300xl, ordering it next month.

The Place: Corner of our living room. It might receive a little sunlight from our window, but is not directly facing the window.

Aquascaping: Starting off with Marco rocks for the aquascaping. Going to attempt a negative space style aquascape, but I'm more used to working with driftwood and river rock in my tanks so it may end up being a rock wall and shelves.

Type: Mixed reef of softies and LPS

Hardware Plans:
Return Pump: Sicce Syncra-Silent 3.5 x2 (one to run, one plumbed in on standby so that when I clean the pumps I don't have to shut off flow)

Mechanical Filtration: I would like to have a roller filter type system, but would love some recommendations here. The sump comes equipped with 2 filter socks the roller would replace. I was thinking about this roller.

Powerheads: With the corals I plan to keep, I don't need high flows, so I'm thinking about a pair of Ecotech MP10s (or maybe 40's) and a couple tunze's turbelles if I need some direct flow on something or dead space.

Nutrient Control/Skimming: In sump Refugium with chaeto. I'll be honest, protein skimmers daunt me a little. I will probably wait until it is absolutely needed before getting one. Recommendations for a skimmer that could fit in a 9.8in x 9.8in chamber and are realitively simple would be welcome.

Lighting: 2x Red Sea ReefLED's

Monitoring/Controller: Starting with the Seneye monitoring system. Will upgrade to the Neptune Apex system with testing and doser modules when I'm ready to put LPS's into the tank. I'm expecting that will be in about a year.

QT: Due to space availability in our apartment, it will be impossible to have a dedicated QT setup for proper quarantine. The current plan is to buy from retailers that pre-quarantine their livestock, but since you can't be 100% certain that proper quarantine procedures were followed, I plan to mitigate the risk of Ich and other illnesses by doing methyl blue dips prior to acclimatization and by doing my best to keep the fish fat and happy. A UV sterilizer will be installed if needed.

Feeding: I'm planning to go with a mix of LRS Reef Frenzy, supplemented with nori and the occasional vegetable treats for the herbivores.

Livestock Plans:

Yellow Tang (captive bred): (most likely the first fish to go into the tank when I have the inevitable hair algae outbreak after cycle)- I know that my tank size is not optimal for a tang, but will either rehome it, or place it in a larger tank when we buy a home, whichever comes first.

Obviously a pair of captive bred common Clownfish. (Most likely will wait until my tank is stable enough for a BTA to go in, then use the tube method to introduce them to the BTA and hopefully host.

Pair of captive bred Banggai Cardinalfish

CUC- a few narssius snails, a fighting conch, and whatever hitchiking cuc that hopefully come in when I place live rock in the DT and sump. Would love to have a couple hermits, but crabs freak my wife out.

Soft Corals:

Small Zoa garden, not sure on what varieties though.

Blue Clove coral on an island. I love the way they look, but I'm not 100% sure I want one, as I don't like the idea of having to constantly prune them.

A Florida Richordia

Hard Corals: These will most likely be added after the tank has been up and stable for a year or so.

Duncan Corals

Frogspawn

Candy Cane Coral

If you made it this far, I appreciate it, and would also appreciate any input regarding my plan you may have.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XL300 owner here.

660g/h is a bit on the low side. Not saying it is wrong, but pointing it out. I am using a Varios6 (1720g/h) set to 4/5 power (which is definitely high flow). I turn off my flow every day when feeding, when dosing AB, and a few other times. It also only takes me 15 mins or so to detach my V6, run it in some citric acid, then ROx2, then back in. The return chamber isn't that large so you may have issues fitting in two pumps depending on size. I only have experience with the Sicce 0.5 and 1.0, so not sure how big these are. I would check with other owners on that.

There are a couple people who had stuck in filter rollers on the 300 and 250s. You just have to permanently modify the sump a bit!
Edit: Just saw your roller is the drop in one. Ignore.

Our glass is 1/2" which is higher than what MP10s are rated. You can get them to stick, but any bump and they are falling off. I went with MP40s turned down quite a bit due to this.

Lots of skimmers will work. I am currently using a Red Sea RSK300 skimmer. Let me know if you want my opinion on it.

We do have a Refugium section, but it is quite small. I am still not using mine for anything other than to hold heaters, probes, and dosing lines. I can't help much with that part.

A ton of lighting options will work. I went from 2x AI Prime 16HDs, to 3x Primes, and now finally landed on the AP9x. 100% happy now. I have zero experience with the Red Sea lights. They do look visually appealing!

I will be happy to talk your ear off about my RS XL300 if you'd like more information. Very happy with the system!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jose_Padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XL300 owner here.

660g/h is a bit on the low side. Not saying it is wrong, but pointing it out. I am using a Varios6 (1720g/h) set to 4/5 power (which is definitely high flow). I turn off my flow every day when feeding, when dosing AB, and a few other times. It also only takes me 15 mins or so to detach my V6, run it in some citric acid, then ROx2, then back in. The return chamber isn't that large so you may have issues fitting in two pumps depending on size. I only have experience with the Sicce 0.5 and 1.0, so not sure how big these are. I would check with other owners on that.

There are a couple people who had stuck in filter rollers on the 300 and 250s. You just have to permanently modify the sump a bit!

Our glass is 1/2" which is higher than what MP10s are rated. You can get them to stick, but any bump and they are falling off. I went with MP40s turned down quite a bit due to this.

Lots of skimmers will work. I am currently using a Red Sea RSK300 skimmer. Let me know if you want my opinion on it.

We do have a Refugium section, but it is quite small. I am still not using mine for anything other than to hold heaters, probes, and dosing lines. I can't help much with that part.

A ton of lighting options will work. I went from 2x AI Prime 16HDs, to 3x Primes, and now finally landed on the AP9x. 100% happy now. I have zero experience with the Red Sea lights. They do look visually appealing!

I will be happy to talk your ear off about my RS XL300 if you'd like more information. Very happy with the system!
Thanks for the information on the MP10's, I didn't even think about checking glass width against that.

I also appreciate the information about the rollers. I've built with glass before, but I'm not sure if I'm up to the task of modifying what is already there. Guess I'm just going to have to buy a ton of socks and have a monthly sock wash day.

The return pumps will fit in the chamber, but I may just keep one out on standby (and also so I can use it to mix salt for waterchanges =P.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I appreciate the advice, it would help to know why you think I should go with Waterbox over Red Sea? I've read and watched reviews on both and they're generally glowing.

You will find people on both sides of these mass produced tanks. If ur happy with the xl300, go for it.

When it comes to pumps, I'm partial to Reef Octopus. I think they are the best bang for the buck--period. Two Octopulse 2 wavemakers in that system will work real nice, and they are budget friendly.

For a return pump, RO Varios pumps are incredible. I have a Varios 4 in my 75g system and it's more than sufficient. I would have gone with the Varios 6, but I am using the Hydros WaveEngine (it controls all of my RO pumps), and using the Varios 4 means I didn't have to use the power brick vs. the 6 I would have.

Good Luck with the build. The more time you spend up front the less frustration you'll have on the backend.

p.s. visit some build threads to get an idea of what others have done. not saying my build thread is great, but we do have similarly sized tanks and it might give you some ideas. Just hit the blue button and it'll take you there.

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jose_Padilla sounds like you have a great plan. Not much to offer, but here are a couple of thoughts.

First, I'm using two MP40s on a 120G tank and like them a lot. The new one's won't integrate with the Apex, but not a big deal. They are very easy to program through Mobius and I have the Apex turn them on/off for things. If you're going with the MP40s, then also look at the Vectra return pumps. I have the M2 and it integrates really well via Mobius.

Second, I am using a Klir 7 on my sump, and like it a lot. I "think" that the the Klir 4 will just drop right in. But I know that there are posts specifically discussing using the Klir with the Red Sea sump.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

Jose_Padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jose_Padilla sounds like you have a great plan. Not much to offer, but here are a couple of thoughts.

First, I'm using two MP40s on a 120G tank and like them a lot. The new one's won't integrate with the Apex, but not a big deal. They are very easy to program through Mobius and I have the Apex turn them on/off for things. If you're going with the MP40s, then also look at the Vectra return pumps. I have the M2 and it integrates really well via Mobius.

Second, I am using a Klir 7 on my sump, and like it a lot. I "think" that the the Klir 4 will just drop right in. But I know that there are posts specifically discussing using the Klir with the Red Sea sump.

Good luck!
Thanks. I'll search up a few of those threads.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back