Getting Ready to Start a FOWLR, Suggestions?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!! Good questions!
9411A942-04B0-48F9-A577-52CE26ADB45C.gif

OP
OP
Fichmiester

Fichmiester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Glad you joined. Depends what/how you want to stock FOWLR and your capacity for cleaning tanks. I've had 5 simultaneous FOWLRs going years ago with largest at 55g, and feel that was about as much effort for more gallons as one reef 180g that I have today. If I had more space, then I'd have another tank or 3.

EDIT: weight of my 180g empty is considerable - had to hire people to move full tank, and they used specialized equipment to move once drained and livestock in bins - another reason for multiple & smaller tanks (and if something doesn't get along... I no longer have rehome options within my own home)

When it comes to spending ... I try to buy used locally to keep costs down. DIY when it works can be a money saver and if it doesn't work then it was just some lost efforts (and usually minimal material costs).
I appreciate the advice about buying used. I just get scared when it comes to potential sealing issues, and/or bacteria from the previous owner. If these issues can be resolved, used of course would be the preference! I just think rimless is so aesthetically pleasing, so any leads on rimless used tanks would be much appreciated hahaha.

The weight is also something I have thought about. It either will be going in my office on the main floor, or upstairs in the bonus room. The bonus room can afford a bigger tank, but dragging a lot of water up the stairs constantly to do large water changes just doesn't scream enjoyable to me.

If ya'll have any advice on how to convince the fiance to put the tank in the living room, I'm all ears..

Last edited:

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: Fiancé, Tell her “I sure hope your living room design can at the very least be as nice as my tank……dear. Smile, then suggest going out and looking for rings.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the advice about buying used. I just get scared when it comes to potential sealing issues, and/or bacteria from the previous owner. If these issues can be resolved, used of course would be the preference! I just think rimless is so aesthetically pleasing, so any leads on rimless used tanks would be much appreciated hahaha.

The weight is also something I have thought about. It either will be going in my office on the main floor, or upstairs in the bonus room. The bonus room can afford a bigger tank, but dragging a lot of water up the stairs constantly to do large water changes just doesn't scream enjoyable to me.

If ya'll have any advice on how to convince the fiance to put the tank in the living room, I'm all ears..
keep your eyes out - you'd be amazed at what comes up on craigslist & etc etc

agree carrying water weight upstairs is huge negative... but perhaps you either run plumbing up there (for your RODI setup... just make water up there!... and maybe put in a wet bar for bonus room while at it (fiance selling point)). Draining water is easy... gravity will take it down - I have numerous hoses clamped together to drain out water to our alley curb. Did originally drain tank water into side yard, but over time salt would have interfered with yard grass growth so made hose longer and went other direction!

My tank is the other end of room where my office is located. I do love having it here near my computer. Its a stress reliever. I'd actually vote office first... get fiance used to tank, then sell her on 2nd tank in bonus and/or living room... and while at it do a wet bar in the bonus room! Good luck and keep us posted on your tank(s) progress(es)!!

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes do not have to be large. You can optionally use 1/4" plastic line (like RO line) and do gradual continuous water changing. You'll want some automation/controller to monitor water levels.
A buddy of mine generates RO, mixes it, and uses a diaphragm booster pump with auto shutoff to move water from his basement mixing to an upstairs tank. Drain out using the same size line and solenoid shutoff valve. Siphoning/gravity provides the drain water movement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fichmiester

Fichmiester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

agree carrying water weight upstairs is huge negative... but perhaps you either run plumbing up there (for your RODI setup... just make water up there!... and maybe put in a wet bar for bonus room while at it (fiance selling point)). Draining water is easy... gravity will take it down - I have numerous hoses clamped together to drain out water to our alley curb. Did originally drain tank water into side yard, but over time salt would have interfered with yard grass growth so made hose longer and went other direction!

My tank is the other end of room where my office is located. I do love having it here near my computer. Its a stress reliever. I'd actually vote office first... get fiance used to tank, then sell her on 2nd tank in bonus and/or living room... and while at it do a wet bar in the bonus room! Good luck and keep us posted on your tank(s) progress(es)!!
I totally agree about the stress reliever aspect of it, and yes the drainage seems very appealing!

OP
OP
Fichmiester

Fichmiester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes do not have to be large. You can optionally use 1/4" plastic line (like RO line) and do gradual continuous water changing. You'll want some automation/controller to monitor water levels.
A buddy of mine generates RO, mixes it, and uses a diaphragm booster pump with auto shutoff to move water from his basement mixing to an upstairs tank. Drain out using the same size line and solenoid shutoff valve. Siphoning/gravity provides the drain water movement.
Any links on a build out of this? this would be a game changer for me.

OP
OP
Fichmiester

Fichmiester

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update: Buying a tank. Craigslist was the answer, you are the best!

What I'm buying (all under 1 year old):

125 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump.
Custom Built Stand
Octopus 150 int protein skimmer
Current eflux 1900 gph max return dc pump
Current programmable LED lights (Will upgrade this)
Auto Top Off System
Bucket of Salt

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone!

Getting back into the hobby after a 4 year hiatus, and want to upgrade my tank.

Previously I had a 50gal Reef tank, and am planning on going FOWLR due to fish types I want, etc...

Any recommendation on tank sizes? Im considering 125 gal but not sure if I really want to go higher than that.

Also, how much should I be looking to spend on a tank/setup?

Thanks so much in advance!
Hello!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back