Getting ready to start my first saltwater tank....

Curtis Skinner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saving up to jump in to the hobby. I have watched the BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing on YouTube. I joined this forum so I can do additional research. My "plan" is to get a 180 gallon tank (72x24x24) with a 56 gallon sump. In addition to the normal things needed in the sump (skimmer and return pump) I want to run a Zeovit reactor and a two part doser. I plan on having fish and corals in the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Curtis

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :D

69F46521-3025-49AF-BA7C-717556FB8205.gif

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
52 weeks of reefing is always the first thing I recommend to new reefers, and you've already got it covered. I think you're ready to rock & roll, man. The only other thing I'd recommend is to go ahead and do it! I almost talked myself out of the hobby after watching YouTube and reading. You're never going to be 100% ready, you're absolutely going to make mistakes....but so has literally everyone else in this hobby. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saving up to jump in to the hobby. I have watched the BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing on YouTube. I joined this forum so I can do additional research. My "plan" is to get a 180 gallon tank (72x24x24) with a 56 gallon sump. In addition to the normal things needed in the sump (skimmer and return pump) I want to run a Zeovit reactor and a two part doser. I plan on having fish and corals in the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Curtis
Welcome , comrade go slow, ask alot of questions, you can do it! !!!

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good that you are thinking ahead but dont rush out and get the doser and reactor until you get tank up and running and stable. One of BSR live QA talked about a tank need a year or so to stabilize and from my experience with my 75 gallon is it took about 15 months for all the uglies to go away. I would start with some softies and a few hardy LPS before jumping into SPS.

OP
OP
Curtis Skinner

Curtis Skinner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. Waiting for a year or so to add the doser and reactor will get me my tank sooner because that is less money I have to save. I was not planning on getting SPS in the beginning. I am planning on starting with softies and LPS like you said.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back