Getting ready to start my first saltwater tank....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
180 gallon says No fooling around. You've come to the best place for resources

welcome33.gif

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saving up to jump in to the hobby. I have watched the BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing on YouTube. I joined this forum so I can do additional research. My "plan" is to get a 180 gallon tank (72x24x24) with a 56 gallon sump. In addition to the normal things needed in the sump (skimmer and return pump) I want to run a Zeovit reactor and a two part doser. I plan on having fish and corals in the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Curtis
I started the same way but found the Zeovit to be a pain in the butt. The small rocks always jammed up the plunger which required disassemble to clear up. Watch as many you tube videos as you can and make up your own mind about what works best for you. Good luck and happy reefing.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Love that you are starting out big, so many (like me) start smaller and quickly realize our addiction had outgrown our tank...;) Good luck with your new build, keep us posted!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things...
  1. My husband's name is Curtis and he is a great guy. So I assume you are as well. :)
  2. I'm from AZ (Peoria) a zillion miles from you but closer than Kentucky.
  3. If you can, join the AZ Frag group. There are good people there. The meetings are mostly in Mesa, but it is worth the drive.
  4. You are going to love it here. Welcome to R2R!

David & Katie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am saving up to jump in to the hobby. I have watched the BRS 52 Weeks of Reefing on YouTube. I joined this forum so I can do additional research. My "plan" is to get a 180 gallon tank (72x24x24) with a 56 gallon sump. In addition to the normal things needed in the sump (skimmer and return pump) I want to run a Zeovit reactor and a two part doser. I plan on having fish and corals in the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Curtis
Everyone will tell you to take it slowly, provide as much water for your system that your home and budget will allow, flow, lights, etc..
They will tell you to ask a lot of questions and do your research.
All of these are true in my opinion. And cannot be overstated. Patience maybe above all. However, you can accomplish plenty in a short period of time if you plan well and can invest the time and money needed. But remember, my tank is different than yours. And not just the volume of water, inhabitants or the type of equipment. It itself becomes it's own life force. It will be unique.
It has been an amazing adventure for me and my family. And R2R has been a great source of information. And the pictures and tank builds can be incredible and inspiring. Tons of knowledge here. Great topics. I could go on. Good luck with your tank build. You've come to the Topher place.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Jump in immediately. Buy rocks, a trash can, a heater, and a small pump or powerhead, and a little salt.

I don't actually expect you to do that.. lol, but if I had to do it over again, I'd have done that the second I mentally committed. While your rocks mature in the garage, you can buy your equipment and fiddle with your setup at your leisure... probably save a lot of money on great deals during the slow summer months too!

Best of luck

David & Katie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone will tell you to take it slowly, provide as much water for your system that your home and budget will allow, flow, lights, etc..
They will tell you to ask a lot of questions and do your research.
All of these are true in my opinion. And cannot be overstated. Patience maybe above all. However, you can accomplish plenty in a short period of time if you plan well and can invest the time and money needed. But remember, my tank is different than yours. And not just the volume of water, inhabitants or the type of equipment. It itself becomes it's own life force. It will be unique.
It has been an amazing adventure for me and my family. And R2R has been a great source of information. And the pictures and tank builds can be incredible and inspiring. Tons of knowledge here. Great topics. I could go on. Good luck with your tank build. You've come to the Topher place.
Topher place? What is that? How do you type "right place", and "Topher place" comes up?[emoji37]

Better question:
"How do you not look at what you type before you press send?" [emoji849][emoji848]
Sorry all. I trust no one was trying to figure out what "Topher place" meant.
I needed a nap. [emoji42]

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank came today. Here is a first attempt for my aquascape. Thoughts please. I am getting another 40lbs in a few days. this is 120lbs
0i1a+m9qTpCccu9zLiX3rg.jpg
leave center open. Looks good

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back