Getting rid of aiptaisa in big zoa tank

Kyle lanoue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big frag tank moatly zoas a few ogher thinks but 90% zoas. Starting to get a decwnt amount of aiptaisa what is my best bet to try iv had luck with filefiah before.should i try peppermints, filefish or a cbb? Or any otger suggestions . I dont want my zoas eaten

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cbb keep them under control, but don't eradicate.I'd say Berghia Nudibranch. I bought a Cbb 6 years ago. He ate all of them , so I thought. For years I haven't seen one. Well he stopped eating, and month later he died. Now the aiptasia are back full force.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a tough call. As long as you don't have any predators I'd say berghias. When aptaisia start getting in between polyps it's tough to eradicate. We had that problem and it took a long time to slowly remove them from colonies. I tried the kalk paste but it would irritate the polyps and they kept coming back. Patience and a sharp razor got the job done. I would have went the berghia route but our wrasse would just get an expensive meal.

OP
OP
K

Kyle lanoue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if he lasted 6 years dont you thinl he did his job :). Also and negitive efdwcts from tge nudis? Id the die do they nuke take do they eat any other coral

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia nudibranchs won't nuke your tank if they die and there specific diet is aptaisia. You put a file fish or a butterfly fish in the tank dominated by zoas then there's a real risk of them getting a taste for your coral.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get a fish, you should QT the fish before adding to your tank.Some Cbb are very hard to get eating frozen foods.Some filefish also like to eat zoas.That's why I suggested Berghia.

OP
OP
K

Kyle lanoue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna try nudies . Also im going to look for a cbb thats is eating drozen at the lfs . As well id love to keep one

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back