Getting rid of coraline algae on walls of tank

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BioCube 32G, and my sides are covered in Coraline algae, making it hard to see/enjoy inside my tank. Any way of getting rid of it? Would a UV sterilizer help?
I used a generic scraper, and noticed that after just one use, and even after rinsing, it rusts. I am guessing it's no good to use again. I happened upon this in an ad: https://www.continuumaquatics.com/aquablade.php. What do you use to clean the sides of your tank? Looking for recommendations.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use urchins :)

My fl!pper works well but obviously curved tanks are a little different.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something similar, but the blades seem to rust after one use. How do you prevent them from rusting?

I have a pencil urchin, but he doesn't seem to get rid of it....

the Flippers don't rust quickly. I have the blade out of the water when I am done but it last much longer. As for an urchin, tuxedos or pincushions should work. Tuxedos won't outgrow the tank.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Flippers don't rust quickly. I have the blade out of the water when I am done but it last much longer. As for an urchin, tuxedos or pincushions should work. Tuxedos won't outgrow the tank.
Do you think it'd be OK to have a pencil urchin AND a Blue Tuxedo Urchin in my 32G tank? Not sure what my pencil urchin is eating, but it's not getting rid of the Coraline algae like I thought it would.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it'd be OK to have a pencil urchin AND a Blue Tuxedo Urchin in my 32G tank? Not sure what my pencil urchin is eating, but it's not getting rid of the Coraline algae like I thought it would.

It should be fine. That or a pincushion, but tuxedos stay small which may be nice

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a pincushion requires a higher level of care than a tuxedo.

Hendrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500G Tank, visible from both 8' sides & visible on 30" of the short sides (Divides two rooms), point is a lot of glass. I have a mag float on each of the (2) 8' sides and use them every day. I use normal Kent yellow plastic with metal blades - every other week to remove all algae from all glass. If you let it go, it can take a while to get it off. I ride the blades and dry them and they don't rust. If I leave them on top of tank they rust.

I do replace them often because they bend and become less effective.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not all metal is created equally; that said, I use the cheap Stanley razor blades and after use I rinse them and dry with paper towel. If they do rust after that I just chuck it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back