OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally in this case, I would do a rip clean on it, and then build it back up properly.
I would add more rock, and definately needs a powerhead in there.
I would remove the macro algae from the tank (make a decision, corals or macro algae).
Some of the corals are reaching for light, so I question the lighting.
How often do you do water changes?
What corals are reaching? I don't see it so really am curious what you're seeing.

Also not familiar with a rip clean...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's the odd part, my nutrients are undetectable, but the turf and calerpa are still growing like crazy, I feed flakes once a week, and this all started after I did a 10% water change and removed some calerpa.
Biggest issue is your bright lighting. Turn off white for 3-5 days and you will see a difference.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to people, didn't read it. Actually heard it on Reef Therapy too. But isn't a 10 gal too small for an urchin anyway?
Not one and after he mows down turf algae you can always get store credit from them. I had a GHA jungle in my tank and it wasn't until I added urchins and turbos that they mowed it down. Your situation is minor with the cyano and turf algae but if you don't like hands in the tank for manual removal then get something to mow that lawn for you.

SouthWestSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I do to get rid of this cyano. I had lights blue for 2 weeks and saw a huge improvement. Went back to white and BOOM came back speckled on the sand. There's phosguard in my filter. But still, all this algae, macro and the turf. They are reading zero but algae is still growing like crazy even under blue. When I test phosphates, it's undetectable with a Red Sea kit. Nitrate (between 0 and 5 ppm) and nitrite (0ppm) pH (8.2) API kits. Just want to avoid chemiclean and other chemicals. Please, recommendations.
IMG_20221112_205048348_HDR.jpg
I had gha and orange cyano explode “my nitrates and phos got pretty high due to me not changing my filter enough and not finding a dead spot behind my rocks that all my fish food and waste had accumulated.” It’s also a small tank Biocube 16 I started dosing microbacter clean, and added two turbos. The turbos are surprisingly nimble when cleaning around my frags on the sand bed. I would consider one! Best of luck! The ups and downs come but man I love this hobby! This picture is 12 hours after dropping the snails on the rock structure on the right. It was just as dirty as the left side and they got it almost back to white.

Attachments

• 44B0FE40-B9B6-482E-99B7-629F477A4F36.jpeg
    44B0FE40-B9B6-482E-99B7-629F477A4F36.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not one and after he mows down turf algae you can always get store credit from them. I had a GHA jungle in my tank and it wasn't until I added urchins and turbos that they mowed it down. Your situation is minor with the cyano and turf algae but if you don't like hands in the tank for manual removal then get something to mow that lawn for you.
What about a lawnmower blenny? Not sure how effective they actually are. I actually work at the fish store in my town, unfortunately, the owner doesn't like to do stuff like that. So that's the only problem. I only have a handful of reefers in my area and the ones I know best, don't wanna add urchins so I wouldn't have anywhere to get rid of one. I've only got the one tank, starting my 46 set up tonight. I won't have that ready for anything for a couple weeks, let alone an urchin. So unfortunately, I got a lose lose with the urchin lol. I love them, just don't have anywhere to move him out of that tank rn.

OP
OP
Thade_hicks

Thade_hicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gha and orange cyano explode “my nitrates and phos got pretty high due to me not changing my filter enough and not finding a dead spot behind my rocks that all my fish food and waste had accumulated.” It’s also a small tank Biocube 16 I started dosing microbacter clean, and added two turbos. The turbos are surprisingly nimble when cleaning around my frags on the sand bed. I would consider one! Best of luck! The ups and downs come but man I love this hobby! This picture is 12 hours after dropping the snails on the rock structure on the right. It was just as dirty as the left side and they got it almost back to white.
Yeah, finally could get some into the pet store I work and and they do wonders

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a lawnmower blenny? Not sure how effective they actually are. I actually work at the fish store in my town, unfortunately, the owner doesn't like to do stuff like that. So that's the only problem. I only have a handful of reefers in my area and the ones I know best, don't wanna add urchins so I wouldn't have anywhere to get rid of one. I've only got the one tank, starting my 46 set up tonight. I won't have that ready for anything for a couple weeks, let alone an urchin. So unfortunately, I got a lose lose with the urchin lol. I love them, just don't have anywhere to move him out of that tank rn.
Well manual removal can help that turf algae. Slide an old credit card behind them and clean it off. When you get the larger tank set up and need a good cleaner then get one of these. You can see what he likes to wear around the reef.

Attachments

• 20220520_113823.jpg
    20220520_113823.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 14

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back