Getting started

kaden192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am 15 years old and have been thinking about getting into the saltwater hobby. I have had about 3 fish tanks of fresh water all 100 gallon and over so im pretty good their. But i am still nervous about getting into salt. I have been doing reach for about 2 months now and have gained all the info i need. But still pretty nervous.. But i dont want to start big with this even tho it is better to. Is a 25 gallon tank a good start tho? And what are the best items i can get as of my 200$ budget? And good stores in brunswick ohio area? Plz message me to help would mean alot!Thanks for reading and replying! Tank on!!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 is good, even 5g is good. But remember you’ll have limits on what you can have inside them. Let us know what you want to keep (corals , fish etc) and your budget , and we can help you with some choices.
I have a 29g nano and couple of 3g pico tanks, very happy with them .

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200$ is really less, even for a 25g tank. You should check with local reefers for used equipment. Also remember you don’t need all the things in one go,

OP
OP
K

kaden192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 is good, even 5g is good. But remember you’ll have limits on what you can have inside them. Let us know what you want to keep (corals , fish etc) and your budget , and we can help you with some choices.
I have a 29g nano and couple of 3g pico tanks, very happy with them .

I would like fish and corals, a couple small friendly fish that would do good with others and also a hardy fish, with the corals some thing that does not need the best light and can do good in any tank.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like fish and corals, a couple small friendly fish that would do good with others and also a hardy fish, with the corals some thing that does not need the best light and can do good in any tank.
You can have 2-3 fish easily in 25G. A watchman goby, a clown, a six line or possum wrasse all are kosher. Dont buy corals, I would say try to contact local reefers and get frags of some easy to grow coral to start with, like GSP, xenia, palythoa, leathers etc. Get an used light . A 60-80w full spectrum light should do the job. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LJC8HL/, I think you can get an used light for lot cheaper. These wont grow high end or sps corals, but they'll do the job for most other easy to keep softies (like zoas for example).

You'll need a test kit (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite), some chemical filtration media (if you dont have refugium), salt mix , RO/DI water, and refractometer.
I'll recommend getting something like RO buddie, its 60$ but will be your best investment

OP
OP
K

kaden192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have 2-3 fish easily in 25G. A watchman goby, a clown, a six line or possum wrasse all are kosher. Dont buy corals, I would say try to contact local reefers and get frags of some easy to grow coral to start with, like GSP, xenia, palythoa, leathers etc. Get an used light . A 60-80w full spectrum light should do the job. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LJC8HL/, I think you can get an used light for lot cheaper. These wont grow high end or sps corals, but they'll do the job for most other easy to keep softies (like zoas for example).

You'll need a test kit (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite), some chemical filtration media (if you dont have refugium), salt mix , RO/DI water, and refractometer.
I'll recommend getting something like RO buddie, its 60$ but will be your best investment

Thank you so much for your help very appreciated! But i was told a all in one tank would be a good option for my first tank. Someone suggested the fluval evo as my first tank. Any opinions on that tank?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back