getting sump into stand - sc aquariums 80g pnp

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80g PNP reef tank that I got from SC Aquariums.
I am trying to slide the sump into the stand but it's impossible to do. The sump is a 1/2" larger than the opening. I have removed the doors, the center brace, and have rotated and angled the sump, but nothing is working.

I contacted Steve at SC Aquariums, and he told me that I need to remove the back panel of the stand and slide it in from the rear. Wait, something just occurred to me, breaking that seal now ruins the caulk that i have used to seal that joint. UGH, not to mention the paint I painted the inside of the cabinet with. And another thing...If this tank is up and running, and the sump would need to come out for any reason, it could not be done if the stand is a few inches from the wall. Um, this doesn't sound right.

Has anyone else experienced this?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an 80g PNP reef tank that I got from SC Aquariums.
I am trying to slide the sump into the stand but it's impossible to do. The sump is a 1/2" larger than the opening. I have removed the doors, the center brace, and have rotated and angled the sump, but nothing is working.

I contacted Steve at SC Aquariums, and he told me that I need to remove the back panel of the stand and slide it in from the rear. Wait, something just occurred to me, breaking that seal now ruins the caulk that i have used to seal that joint. UGH, not to mention the paint I painted the inside of the cabinet with. And another thing...If this tank is up and running, and the sump would need to come out for any reason, it could not be done if the stand is a few inches from the wall. Um, this doesn't sound right.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes - its why most people leave the backs of their stands 'open' - or else - have a way to slide the tank in from the front. Who designed the tank/stand?

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank / stand came from SC Aquariums. I assume that's who designed it.
I asked about removing the rear panel and he said the display tank will need to be empty, just to be safe. that told me, if i ever had to remove the sump, i'd have to empty the whole system, move it away from the wall, replace, and push back in place and re-level everything and start the process over. that was a big heck no in my mind.

I'm guessing this will now force me to move the sump to the basement. Did not want to do that.
It's an unfinished basement, so it's always cooler down there. (although there is heat / ac)

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about removing the rear panel and he said the display tank will need to be empty, just to be safe. that told me, if i ever had to remove the sump, i'd have to empty the whole system, move it away from the wall, replace, and push back in place and re-level everything and start the process over. that was a big heck no in my mind.

I'm guessing this will now force me to move the sump to the basement. Did not want to do that.
It's an unfinished basement, so it's always cooler down there. (although there is heat / ac)
In the end to have a basement sump especially in unfinished basement is awesome because you won’t have wood floor or carpet to worrie about eventually all those drips of water cause damage to something

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would be a deal breaker for me as well. Having said that the time you would need to remove the sump - without draining the tank would seem to be extremely 'rare'

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Right - I wasn't sure if you designed the stand - or what - that seems really odd to me.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it certainly ticks me off, but the basement is always there. I was trying to avoid that, but the more I think about it, it's probably best.

I can keep my oversized skimmer, I could get a larger sump but what I have would work since I don't need to worry about the height. my water changes and top offs could be done in the basement without worrying about the wood floors. I am not the most careful water changer, I'm always getting water somewhere. I do have heat / ac down there, but it is an unfinished basement. I hope the heaters won't have to work overtime just to keep temps up.

I guess this means I'd have to run two 1" pvc pipes from the display tank, down to the basement and into the sump.

I'll post some pictures of my build as I dry fit, hopefully this will all work out

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it certainly ticks me off, but the basement is always there. I was trying to avoid that, but the more I think about it, it's probably best.

I can keep my oversized skimmer, I could get a larger sump but what I have would work since I don't need to worry about the height. my water changes and top offs could be done in the basement without worrying about the wood floors. I am not the most careful water changer, I'm always getting water somewhere. I do have heat / ac down there, but it is an unfinished basement. I hope the heaters won't have to work overtime just to keep temps up.

I guess this means I'd have to run two 1" pvc pipes from the display tank, down to the basement and into the sump.

I'll post some pictures of my build as I dry fit, hopefully this will all work out
It will be best for you if you do the drain pipes with the most vertical as possible with least horizontal as possible and least 90s you can. This is why I opted to use barb fitting and run 1 1/4 flex hose instead to lower the resistance of water flow thru

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back