Getting Yellow Tang To eat from the Top

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new baby yellow tang is a gem in the tank, only issue is that he won't eat the pellets from the top. It only will eat the pellets which sink to mid tank level. Thankfully I have got him to eat nori, and frozen but would be good to get him to eat off the surface. Any ideas on what to do?

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed pellets and I find that over a couple of weeks the fish discover that food comes from the surface and they will start to swarm the surface whenever I walk by the tank. If you have other fish that are also eating from the surface that can help too. They see when the other fish start getting excited about food coming and go to the same place that they are.

Until then, try to make sure some of the pellets sink so he can find them and get food.

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my yellow tang for 2 weeks and he seems to only like the sinking pellets/frozen. He's slowly discovering Nori but but won't eat it directly from the sheet (it needs to be floating in the tank for him to eat it)

How is your yellow tang doing?

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my yellow tang for 2 weeks and he seems to only like the sinking pellets/frozen. He's slowly discovering Nori but but won't eat it directly from the sheet (it needs to be floating in the tank for him to eat it)

How is your yellow tang doing?
Doing much better! Has started to eat from the top! Something I realized was that the pellet size matters. The Tang might be able to eat bigger sinking pellets but have a harder time eating them from the top, so smaller size can be a factor IME. Hope all goes well for yours!

Nigel

Tango99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing much better! Has started to eat from the top! Something I realized was that the pellet size matters. The Tang might be able to eat bigger sinking pellets but have a harder time eating them from the top, so smaller size can be a factor IME. Hope all goes well for yours!

Nigel
Great! Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have five and they are not surface feeders but will go into attack mode when it’s suspended in the water. That goes for a majority of my tangs

Back