GFO/Carbon Reactor or UV sterlizer?

DowntownJosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Just got my Red Sea Reefer 250 set up today, and while it is cycling, I'm wanting to plan out what next things I need for the tank.

I'm shooting for a mixed reef setup. Ive seen on some of the BRS beginning videos they use one or both of these items, and I was curious what everyone thought? Should i get one or the other or both (is that over kill)?

Ive seen the carbon reactor uses a small pump placed in the sump and it looks like so does the uv sterlizer. Can you use 1 pump for both?

If I should get one or both, what products does everyone recommend for my RSR250?

Thanks!

zukihara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An expert will come along and correct me shortly, but both UV and carbon are nice and I installed both on my new system. I would say that you need to run off two pumps, because the UV is persnickity getting dialed in off a manifold. UV may be more of a need when doing SPS.

I mean a 25W UV is running some fairly high gph while the carbon is way, way less flow.

That's my answer, we shall see what others say.

JayinToronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will see all kinds of opinions on weather you actually need carbon or a UV sterilizer. There are a ton of successful systems that run one, both or neither. The truth is they both do something. And they both are crucial for some of the more common problems you may encounter down the road. Weather you put them on-line now doesn't really matter, but you will want to have planned out where you may put them some day when you will need them. Run them off separate pumps as they both have different flow requirements.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An expert will come along and correct me shortly, but both UV and carbon are nice and I installed both on my new system. I would say that you need to run off two pumps, because the UV is persnickity getting dialed in off a manifold. UV may be more of a need when doing SPS.

I mean a 25W UV is running some fairly high gph while the carbon is way, way less flow.

That's my answer, we shall see what others say.
I totally agree and did the same. I also think you'll need 2 pumps due to the different flow requirements.

Back